cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XI Client Installation with Multiple JREs

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm wondering if it is possible to have multiple JREs greater than 1.4 installed and still use the XI client for IB/IR. I have configured JWS to only use the 1.4.2 version I have installed, but it still tries to startup on Java 6.

Thanks in advance.

Peter

Sorry for the simple question, but I haven't been successful in getting this to work.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

henrique_pinto
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

One "simple" way of doing this is to manually start Java Web Start 1.4 and run IR and ID directly from there.

Just run \Java\j2re1.4.2_xx\javaws\javaws.exe and once it opens, type the addresses of IR and ID in the "Location" field (http://<host>:<port>/rep/start/repository.jnlp and http://<host>:<port>/dir/start/directory.jnlp). Once the applications are loaded (once you see the icon in the "Applications" frame) you may click on the Start button. Then the applications will be started using JRE 1.4.

In order to open the links directly from the XI start page, there is another option. Run the Control Panel/Java entry (assuming you have installed JDK 1.5 or superior), go to the Java tab. The upper part configuration (click on View) is regarding the execution of Java apps and applets. You may select the JREs you want to load for these (select 1.5). In the lower part of the screen, there is the configuration for runtime settings, where you select the JRE that runs the JNLP applications. Here, you may select JRE 1.4. But be aware that all .jnlp's that you run will be loaded with JRE 1.4.

Regards,

Henrique.

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Its that second option that I can't get to work. It seems that those settings are ignored for me.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ah, not so easy then.

What frustrates me the most is that newer tools require the higher JRE (i.e. Detroubulator I think required Java 5, and the SAP Widget Foundation requires Java 6), but I'm stuck with 1.4.2 due to "real" XI work requirements.

I took a quick read of the JWS documentation and I believe that this should have worked and it will revert back to the highest available JRE that the launching application can use, so when I read that I think SAP doesn't have their .jnlp launch files configured with some kind of Java version parameter. I am no expert in this area though!

bhavesh_kantilal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Ah, not so easy then.

>

> What frustrates me the most is that newer tools

> require the higher JRE (i.e. Detroubulator I think

> required Java 5,

Exactly when I tried to make both working. Never could as a result of which I never could ever try detrobulator.

I am hoping someone has the perfect answer as well.

Regards

Bhavesh

bhavesh_kantilal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Sorry for the simple question, but I haven't been

> successful in getting this to work.

Simple question? Not at all. I have tried as well , failed and reverted to 1.4.2 as needed to make sure my IR and ID works.

Hopefully someone has done this.

Regards

Bhavesh