Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CUA Questions - Pls Check

Former Member
0 Kudos

We have recently configured Central User Administration as follows:

Central System is Solution Manager 4.0 System (SM1)

Child Systems are ECC 6.0 Systems (Development (DEV), Quality (QAS) and Production (PRD))

(The child systems DEV and QAS are configured for now. PRD will be linked later)

We have no user information in our CUA central system (SM1) so far. We are in the process of Setting up Distribution Parameters. I have read that once we setup the field distribution parameters, we transfer users from DEV and QAS to SM1. Also, if we have any changes made later, we can perform a sync between the central system and the child systems.

I am following the help link http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/en/bf/b0b13bb3acd607e10000000a11402f/frameset.htm

I have two questions and I would really appreciate your help in this regard:

<b>1.Are there any recommendations for setting up field distribution parameters? (Which ones should be Global and which ones should be Local).

2.How do we transfer the existing Roles, Profiles and Authorizations in the child system to the CUA central system? (These existed before CUA was configured and we want to re use them)</b>

Thanks in Advance,

Raj Kumar

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am not a big fan of your CUA design that you have put in place for 2 reasons.

One, I don't like Solution Manager to be the master CUA or be a part of any CUA. Only a limited amount of people should access Solution Manager, usually project team members.

Two, I do NOT want CUA going accross landscapes DEV, QA & PROD. It's best to put 3 CUA for each landscapes and preferably the ECC 6.0 as the master just in case you do decide to go HR position base security.

Other questions:

1. CUA parameters or SCUM settings

Roles -> Global

Parameters -> local (some PIDs are NOT valid on other systems)

Printer -> local (not all printers exist on all systems)

Other parameters is up to your discretion.

2. Transfering roles will still be a Basis function using transports (STMS).

Hope this helps and good luck!

5 REPLIES 5

Former Member
0 Kudos

Everything can be global. If there is plan for other systems like CRM, BI you might want PIDs and defaults to be local since these values might be system specific.

Roles do not need to be transferred to CUA system.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am not a big fan of your CUA design that you have put in place for 2 reasons.

One, I don't like Solution Manager to be the master CUA or be a part of any CUA. Only a limited amount of people should access Solution Manager, usually project team members.

Two, I do NOT want CUA going accross landscapes DEV, QA & PROD. It's best to put 3 CUA for each landscapes and preferably the ECC 6.0 as the master just in case you do decide to go HR position base security.

Other questions:

1. CUA parameters or SCUM settings

Roles -> Global

Parameters -> local (some PIDs are NOT valid on other systems)

Printer -> local (not all printers exist on all systems)

Other parameters is up to your discretion.

2. Transfering roles will still be a Basis function using transports (STMS).

Hope this helps and good luck!

0 Kudos

Thanks for the replies.

JC,

Can you please elaborate a little bit on your answer?

John,

We had this discussion for about 3 months and Basis team has decided with the current landscape. I agree with you in both your opinions. But, unfortunately our landscape cannot change. (After all, BASIS team always prefer Sol. Manager)

For the second question, I think I will rephrase it and put it this way (Since I have contradictory comments from you and my limited knowledge in this area):

<b>2.DEV, QAS systems existed even before CUA was setup. We created a new client in SM1 and linked DEV and QAS (existing clients) to CUA. Now, as we have existing roles in Child systems (DEV and QAS) :

i)Can we use the same roles and profiles in CUA central system?

ii)If Yes, Do we need to transfer them to central system and how to do the transfer?</b>

Thanks Again for your time on this thread. Please comment on this.

Raj Kumar

0 Kudos

Raj,

If your CUA landscape cannot be change base on the Basis design, I wish you a LOT of luck! I hope your users don't number up in the thousands.

0 Kudos

Raj,

The whole objective of CUA is to minimize the effort of user maintenance so the more fields and systems you can set up in CUA the better. But some fields are specific to certain systems. PIDs and some defaults may be specific to ECC and not CRM so you really cannot set them globally so leave them as local. These can be confgured later so if you currently only have ECC, then set them all up as global. When CRM, BI, or other systems are implemented you can re-configure. Note in a one CUA system environment - changes to fields will immediately impact your PRD system.

You may want to do a search on CUA Best Practice in this forum for further thoughts.