Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Third party tool interface integration with SAP

mantas_andriekus
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi guys - here's an interesting one:

I want to integrate a third party tool with SAP. The interfaces would be required to communicate both ways - sending data out and receiving data and populating relevant tables / transactions. I, so far see a number of methods available to me that would be suitable and feasible:

<b> - File based exchange of data

- iDocs (custom or standard)

- BAPIs (custom or standard)</b>

- XI (but this method would not be feasible and would thus not consider it)

In all the cases above (apart from XI), I guess I would require a program that would call the BAPIs or distribute iDoc data or extract and populate file based data. I have so far compiled a list of various advantages and disadvantages and just wanted to probe your expert minds.

<b>Please list the advantages and disadvantages of each method, providing a reasonable discussion as to why you think this is the case. If you think any other method would be suitable, please list this too.</b>

The person with the most accurate and detailed answer will receive all the points.

Thanks

Mantas

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mantas,

The Pros and Cons in this case depends on the third party tool which you want to intergrate with SAP.

File Based Exchange of data: How conveniently can you push the data from the third party tool into a file.

IDocs: The third party tool should understand the syntax and symantics of the IDoc.

BAPIs: How do you plan to call the BAPI from the third party tool.

From just the SAP point of view.

Here are the advantages and disadvantages:

1. File Based Exchange of data:This method is good if you can easily pass a file which can be uploaded into sap and the data can be stored in the sap tables.

2.IDocs:

Advantages:

If you have an existing IDoc that can do the data transfer then this would be the simplest method as only the settings are needed.No program is required to call this IDoc the settings automatically take care of this.

Disadvantages:

If a custom IDoc needs to be developed then creation of a BAPI would be a better option.

3.BAPIs:

Advantages:

It is simpler to develop a BAPI than a custom IDoc which involves creation of segments, function modules etc.

Disadvantages:

There should be an active online connection.

Some programming will be needed to call the BAPI.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

mantas_andriekus
Participant
0 Kudos

A further question to this one:

I found a suitable iDoc type that could be used - <b>IORDER01</b>. Could you describe the process in detail of how I could use this iDoc to populate and extract data? This example could be a manual input process within SAP (just to test the functionality).

The other thing is that I would use another program coded in say C# - How would I interface with this program? I would need some kind of an event raised in that custom program to notify it of the arrival of iDoc.

Thanks

Mantas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mantas,

If you need to pass data from a tool whose underlying language is C# , I think it would be better to use an RFC or BAPI.

Let me know if this link helps

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_46c/helpdata/de/77/39594b622f11d2804b00c04fada2a1/content.htm

Thanks & Regards,

Vanita M

mantas_andriekus
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Vanita,

I would still be interested to know all the intricacies that iDoc inbound / outbound processing entails.

Thanks

Mantas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mantas,

ALE which stands for Application Link Enabling is a tool used for Intergration between sap to sap and sap to Non sap.

IDocs are containers which carry data and other information during this integration.

Idocs have control segment, data segments and status segment.

The entire concept would be difficult to explain in this forum.

You can take a look at this document.

http://help.sap.com/printdocu/core/Print46c/en/data/pdf/BCMIDALEPRO/BCMIDALEPRO.pdf

If you are just looking for a start.

http://help.sap.com/printdocu/core/Print46c/en/data/pdf/CABFAALEQS/CABFAALEQS.pdf

Hope this helps

Thanks & Regards,

Vanita M.