cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP DMS server installation Query

Former Member
0 Kudos

Guys,

I would like to share my plans on DMS server installation under DEV,Quality,prod stage and requesting you all to validate and send me any comments if I am wrong anywhere.

- We have 1 external DMS server of (250Gb capacity)

- We are now in realization phase, As we know that we have 3 servers namly Development, quality and production server.

- In Development Server we do Baseline DMS customization

- In Quality server we do Integration testing

- There will be as external computer with harddisk capacity of 80 GB,I will Install Content server CD and make that 80GB hard disk as content server for storing the documents, create content repository and store the documents which are to be tested under both development and quality server stage(Note : we can use SAP database for both testing purpose but If we load huge data there,it will slowdown the server drastically)

- During the production server install the DMS server (250 gb) and define the content repository config under production server and start storing all the fresh document

- Note: Since the tested documents are stored in local PC we can avoid all the tested documents under quality stage only,once the DMS server is installaed in production server we can freshly load the documents.

- Note: I knew I have to install twice the Content server cd(once with 80 GB local hard disk and later with External DMS server)

This is how I planned, I request you to highlight the pain areas by this method else give me the confidence of how I planned?

I appreciate for immediate solution; also how does Kpro comes into picture here.

Points will be rewarded for sure.

Regards,

Murali.S

DMS consultant

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Murali,

As per my understanding you want to keep a Temporary Content Server for your Dev & QA system but a full fledge 250GB Content server for Production.

This is a Good method you are following, i.e. when you go for production you will not have any junk data, you will be loading only fresh data (originals) into it.

There is nothing harm or pain in doing this, only thing is you have re-configure the Content Repository and Category in Production System (SAP).

Your Basis person has to open Production System for doing this Settings (Defining Content Repository and Content Category with Port, HTTP, etc)

Document Area to be ensured in each client at any point of time, Physical machine, IP address, Port etc.

You can maintain a Excel sheet with a following Columns:

Client, Content Category, Content Repository, Document Area, Physical Machine, IP Address, Port.

For Transaction OACT & OAC0.

Rest your method is fantastic.

Best Regards

Rehman

Reward Your Points If satisfied.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Rehman

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Murali,

Forgot put some light on KPRO,

Kpro: Knowledge Provider (which comes free of charge with SAP R/3 from version 4.0)

It is a Generic Information technology infrastructure for administrating and storing documents.

It is a component of mySAP Technology and SAP Web Application Server.

It is an Application Independent and media independent Service.(not usually visible on user interface, Not a standalone application).

The DMS and Content Server are the Part of KPro,

i.e. You find Content Repository and Content Category setting under Knowledge provider.

the Path is ::::

SPRO> SAP NETWEAVER> SAP Web Application Server> Basis Services> <u><b>Knowledge Provider--></b></u> Document Mangement Service & Content Management services.

This shows that DMS & CMS comes under Knowledge Provider.

Regards

Rehman

Reward Your POints If Satisfied.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Murali,

As per my understanding you want to keep a Temporary Content Server for your Dev & QA system but a full fledge 250GB Content server for Production.

This is a Good method you are following, i.e. when you go for production you will not have any junk data, you will be loading only fresh data (originals) into it.

There is nothing harm or pain in doing this, only thing is you have re-configure the Content Repository and Category in Production System (SAP).

Your Basis person has to open Production System for doing this Settings (Defining Content Repository and Content Category with Port, HTTP, etc)

Document Area to be ensured in each client at any point of time, Physical machine, IP address, Port etc.

You can maintain a Excel sheet with a following Columns:

<b>Client, Content Category, Content Repository, Document Area, Physical Machine, IP Address, Port.</b>

For Transaction OACT & OAC0.

Rest your method is fantastic.

Best Regards

Rehman

Reward Your Points If satisfied.