Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Basic Question No 1 about DTR

Former Member
0 Kudos

System Admin Creates Users

let us say dtrusr1,dtrusr2,dtrusr3

Each user can create DTR client DTR Client1,DTR Client2

DTR Client1 can crete workspacefolder,workspces,projects.

What is the relation between DTR Client and User and User inturn with System admin.

Regards,

RK

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

There are no relations:

DTR Client <-> User:

A DTR Client only stores the connection information and the location of synched DTR files. With this information it allows somebody that uses this DTR client to log in to the DTR, so that any activities done in the DTR will be stored with his/her name. If two people would use the same NWDS installation and same DTR client in that NWDS, they will be working with the same files. So there's in fact no direct relation between a DTR client and a user: You can use any existing user to login to the DTR with just one DTR client.

System Admin <-> User:

The System Admin just creates the users and gives them the permissions they need, nothing more, nothing less.

Former Member
0 Kudos

If I perceive from ur statements User1 (Sys admin) can crete many clients and all these works for one project. U mentioned that <b>If two people would use the same NWDS installation and same DTR client in that NWDS, they will be working with the same files i am not cleared on this !!!</b>

I Have User1, i logged in to DTR, i created DTR client1(infact he can create many clients) with this client,folder structure,workspace,file and checked in to DTR (all this in one NWDS/@ one WStation), on the other hand he will be having local directory also say C:/JDI1

Now User2 Logsin in other work station he creates DTR Client2 ( can he use DTR client1 it self),local folder as

c:/JDI2.

Now How can you sync the already cheked in activity by DTRclient1(User1) in to DTRclient2(User2) local folder and edit and check in to the DTR again.

Former Member
0 Kudos

DTR clients are local to NWDS installations, there's nothing stored on the NWDI server about a DTR client. A DTR client only determines which DTR to connect to and where the files and folders coming from that DTR will be stored on the workstation (these are the values you must enter when you create a DTR client). So, the filesystem folder where synched files are stored is determined by the DTR client. The name of the DTR client does not matter, it is only for identification purposes within the NWDS itself, it is not sent to the server when performing DTR related activities. This is why two users that use the same NWDS and DTR client on one workstation will work with the same files.

Since DTR clients are <b>local</b> to an NWDS installation (and thus to a workstation), you can create DTR clients with identical names on different workstations.

About your last question:

"Now How can you sync the already cheked in activity by DTRclient1(User1) in to DTRclient2(User2) local folder and edit and check in to the DTR again."

Assuming that you have set up DTRclient1 and DTRclient2 to connect to the same DTR, you can just use the Sync option from the context menu of the concerned folder.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I use the 3-character SAP Systemname of the WebAS server where the NWDI is installed to name my DTR clients. This way I can easily identify which DTR I'm working with.