cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Revenue Recognition Posting Periods

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All

I have a situation where revenue recognition needs to be done by the day. Let me explain my situation with an example

There are 2 items in the sales order

10. A network router == Price = 10000 usd

20. A service contract for the above for 1 Year == Price = 1200 usd/ annum

Both line item no. 10 and line item no. 20 needs to be invoiced to the customer upfront.

Revenue for line item No. 10 should be recognized right at the point of invoicing , whereas the revenue for line item No. 20 should be recognized over a period of 1 year

I have attached a billing plan to item no. 20 with billing in advance. So the customer invoice is 10000 + 1200 = 11200 usd.

I have configured the item category for the line item no.20 to be relevant for rev rec with Rev Rec = A (time- related) and Accural starting period = B (proposal based on billing plan start date).

The 1200 usd for line item no. 20 is creating 12 lines in VBREVE per each fiscal period. And when VF44 is run for the particular period the revenue deferred for that period is properly recognized.

With that background , <b>Here is my problem</b>

1. Revenue needs to be recognized every day as opposed to fiscal period. (ie) Revenue needs to be accrued as 1200/365=3.28 usd times 365 lines in VBREVE

2. When VF44 runs , we should be able to recognize revenue for the day not the period. (ie the value to be recognized is 3.28 usd for today. So we should be able to run VF44 for today and identify the 3.28). When VF44 runs tommorrow , it should recognize another 3.28.

Thnx in advance for your answers.

Siva

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Siva

This is a FICO related querry.

As far as I know, you need to define your own Fiscal Year Variant for this ( in FI module), and assign that fiscal yr variant to the company code in Ent struct --> define Co Code.

In the Fiscal year Variant you need to define 365 posting periods each signifying a Day of the year.

When you do the Revenue recognition for the contract item, then the system will split it as per your requirement.

Please see the below extract from SAPHelp file for configuring Fiscal Yr variant.

" Maintain Fiscal Year Variant (Maintain Shortened Fisc. Year)

You can define the following characteristics for a fiscal year variant:

how many posting periods a fiscal year has

how many special periods you need

how the system is to determine the posting periods when posting

When defining your fiscal year, you have the following options:

Your fiscal year is the calendar year

In this case, you must only select the Calendar year field.

Your fiscal year is not the same as the calendar year and is not year-dependent

In this case, you first enter the number of your posting periods in the Number posting per. field. To define your posting periods, select your fiscal year variant and select Periods on the navigation screen. On this screen, enter the month and the day of the period end and the period in each case.

Your fiscal year is not the same as the calendar year and is year-dependent

Enter the number of your posting periods in the field Number posting periods and select the field Year-dependent. To define your posting periods, select your fiscal year variant and select Periods on the navigation screen. The system asks for which calendar year your year-dependent fiscal year variant is valid. You then enter the month and day of the period end for each of your periods, and the periods themselves.

It is also possible to determine names for the periods of a non-year-specific fiscal year variant. To do so, select your fiscal year variant and choose Period texts on the navigation screen. You can specify a three-character abbreviation (Jan, Feb, Mar...) and a 20-character long text (January, February, March).

Standard settings

The following fiscal year variants have been created in the standard system:

Variants in which the fiscal year is the same as the calendar and has up to four special periods

Variants for shortened fiscal years. For more information on shortened fiscal years, see "Defining shortened fiscal years".

Variants for non-calendar fiscal years:

April to March with four special periods

July to June with four special periods

October to September with four special periods

Variants that are set up on a weekly basis. These variants can only be used in the Special Purpose Ledger application.

Activities

1. Check the standard fiscal year variants.

2. Change the existing variants, if necessary, or create your own variants.

Defining shortened fiscal year

A shortened fiscal year is a fiscal year having less than twelve months, but for which year-end closing must be carried out. The definition of a shortened fiscal year is always year-dependent, since it represents a year-related exception. You must always define an entire calendar year when defining a fiscal year variant. The year-related fiscal year variant therefore contains not only the periods from the shortened fiscal year, but also other periods from the previous or subsequent fiscal year.

There are two ways to define a shortened fiscal year:

If you use Financial Accounting without Asset Accounting, you can begin a fiscal year with any period.

Example

If your shortened year goes from January to September, you can assign periods 004 to 012 . Assign periods 001 to 003 of the new fiscal year to the months October-December.

Specify the number of periods for the fiscal year variant (12 in the example above).

Note

Keep in mind that the last period of a fiscal year must correspond to the number of periods in that year. This means that if you want to define 12 periods, the last period in that year must be number 12.

If you implement the Asset Accounting component, each fiscal year must begin with period number 001 , to allow asset depreciation calculations to be carried out accurately.

For a fiscal year variant, specify the periods and the number of periods the shortened fiscal year has. This way, each fiscal year of the variant can begin with period 001.

Example

If you define a fiscal year with twelve periods, it can contain a shortened year with nine periods (from 001 to 009). The remaining calendar year contains the first three periods of the new fiscal year (periods 001 to 003).

For more information about implementing the Asset Accounting component, see the Asset Accounting documentation.

Note

You define your shortened year and the following normal fiscal years under the same fiscal year variant. Bear in mind that you generally need to ensure that it is possible to post to previous fiscal years.

You need to keep the year-dependent fiscal year variant for as long as you are posting in or prior to a shortened fiscal year, or if you are transferring old data from this period. You cannot define year- independent fiscal year variants until the shortened fiscal year has been closed (from the accounting perspective), with no further adjustment postings expected.

Year-dependent definitions will be deleted as soon as you convert the fiscal year variants from year-dependent to year-independent.

Standard settings

Two shortened fiscal year variants are provided with the standard system: variant R1 for a Financial Accounting shortened year, and variant AM for shortened years when Asset Accounting is in use.

Activities

1. If you need to define a shortened fiscal year, first determine which of the two options above will be used.

2. Define the shortened fiscal year.

To define the shortened year for Asset Accounting, select Navigation -> Shortened fisc.yr."

Regards,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kaustuv

Thnx very much for the quick reply.

I just talked to my FI/CO guy and he says that we are using 12 fiscal periods in the fiscal year. And if we change the fiscal period to a day each and assign it to the company code it is going to have an affect on Finance.

So my question becomes ,

1. Can we have a fiscal period of 1 month for regular FI activities , but have a 1 day fiscal period specifically for Rev Rec..?

2. I am not sure if my question no.1 makes sense but let me rephrase it

2.a Is there a way to post revenue per day without changing the fiscal period..?

Answers (0)