cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference between Idoc Adapter and Proxies..

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI XI Guru's,

I am new to XI, I wanted to know what is the difference between Idoc adpater and proxies. When and what should be preffered ?

Warm Regards,

- Priya R

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

thnxs..

Former Member
0 Kudos

idocs which mean - (intermediate documents) are standard document formats which sap systems use to store as well send data from one system to another. If this is the format in which data has to received by R/3 then you will use idoc adapter in XI. idoc adapter can be used to communicate between systems is with SAP release higher than 3.1.X. Communication using idoc adapter is always asynchronous.

proxies are available for communication between SAP systems with version WAS 6.20 and above. They support both synchronous as well as asynchronous modes of communication. Generally when you are looking at developing new application using WAS 6.20 and above then you can design the interfaces for this new applications in SAP XI and generate the required code for these interfaces automatically in SAP systems using transaction code - SPROXY in the case of ABAP Proxy and in the case of Java proxies the code is generated by SAP XI system itself. You only have to implement these interfaces in your new application. So, basically you have to only worry about building the application and the interface part is taken care by XI itself. you can also look at using proxies when data has to be inserted or fetched from custom/standard tables in R/3 using XI.

,idoc adapter can be used for commuincation between ABAP stacks only but Proxy can be used for both ABAP as well JAVA stack.

justin_santhanam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Priya,

First of all welcome to XI. Now let us come to the discussion.

I want to modify your question little bit, its not difference btw IDOC Adapter and Proxies rather it has to be IDOC/RFC Adapter vs proxies.

As we know to communicate with SAP system we have IDOC and RFC adapter. We can go for proxies only if our WebAS is greater than 6.20. It all depends on the business requirement on choosing the right one either adapter or proxies.

I would suggest you to refer the blog , which will give you in-depth idea of choosing th right stuff.

/people/ravikumar.allampallam/blog/2005/08/14/choose-the-right-adapter-to-integrate-with-sap-systems

Hope it helps!!!

-raj.