cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Layout question

Former Member
0 Kudos

maybe someone here can help me? I've been fighting with this for two days now

My problem is, I have a WD view consisting of several trays (sitting all in one column) containing ViewContainers. The view containers contain views which consist of trees (but may contain other elements later, too).

My problem is now, I want these trays all to have a fixed width (in pixels), but unlimited heigth (just as the navigation tree here in SDN to the left). And I want to specify this fixed width in as few places as possible (to be able to change it later with no hassle).

I found out that the only possible method of forcing a child to a specified width is within a ScrollContainer (or something else which provides scrollbars, such as the Tray). I do miss, however, the option to say that a child may be unlimited in length, but fixed in width (that would be something like "Scrolling Mode = horizontal only").

The purpose of this is that I want to provide some navigational features on the left side of the screen, and I do not want the width to change when a tray gets closed or opened.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi chris,

I have the same problem as you. Did you find a solution.

Kind regards,

Marinus Geuze

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Christoph,

if i get you right, you want to have something like a fixed width column on the left side in a multi column layout. Isn't it possible to set the width of the topmost container, where all the trays are residing in, to a fixed width? Then, on the other hand, all elements inside the container should NOT exceed the topmost width you defined. And, if you set the stretchedHorizontally property of each view element inside the container to true, each element should expand exactly to the horizontal space available.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Stefan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Stefan,

trying to do it like you described was my first attempt, but that does work only if the controls inside the trays are smaller than my outer element. Since my controls are trees, freely definable by the user (think of it like browser favorites), this is not always the case, so I tried wrapping them inside of ScrollContainers to limit their width. But it seems this is only possible if I:

a.) enter a width directly at the ScrollContainer's

properties (setting the width of the topmost

container doesn't help)

and

b.) also limit the height (if no value for the Scroll-

Container's height property is given, but a width,

the Container has a height of 0

But I do not want to limit the width, and (ideally) I would like to specify the width only in one place. What can I do?

thanks,

chris