cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Editing application-j2ee-engine.xml file in Web Dynpro DC

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'd like to set one of my web dynpro apps to automatically start whenever the J2EE engine is started.

<a href="http://help.sap.com/saphelp_erp2005/helpdata/en/94/0a5b422f786255e10000000a155106/frameset.htm">This SAP Library document</a> states that you can do that in the application-j2ee-engine.xml file. However, I cannot find the application-j2ee-engine.xml file anywhere in my Web Dynpro DC. I've opened the DC in Web Dynpro Explorer view, Package Explorer view, Navigator view, J2EE DC Explorer view and J2EE Explorer view.

Even after expanding all the folders in each view I still can't find the application-j2ee-engine.xml file.However if I search my '.dtc' folder on my hard drive I find the application-j2ee-engine.xml file in the following path:

C:\...\.dtc\1\t\13AA2EFA530FEB42915442D10D7C71A6\gen_wdp

How can I EDIT that file for a web dynpro component/app?

Thanks!

David

Message was edited by: David Z. Pantich to include the link to the SAP Library document

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member182372
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

David, application-j2ee-engine.xml is generated while WD DC build process. You can`t intercept this process. As an option you can try to update generated ear file with your modified application-j2ee-engine.xml.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Maksim. I still need to figure out if there IS a way to specify that I want a Web Dynpro app to automatically start when the J2EE engine starts but I'll start a different thread for that.

former_member182372
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

David, as I said - update application-j2ee-engine.xml inside generated ear file. I`m not sure whether it`s gonna work but it worth to try .

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Maksim. I understood that. It's just that I would prefer some method that doesn't require the developers to do something like extracting a file from the EAR file, changing the file and then putting it back in. As you probably know, some developers could handle it and some will most certainly make mistakes.

When they do they come to my group and say "my app doesn't work" and then we have to spend time figuring out why.

Plus, once the developers get used to doing things the automated way they're going to have a hard time remembering to do a manual step each time they do a build.

I have heard that there may be some way to do something similar to this on Visual Administrator. I'm going to investigate that too.

Thanks!

David.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Just in case we decide to go the route of editing the EAR file... What should the entries look like in the application-j2ee-engine.xml file to specify that the app should start when the J2EE engine starts?

Thanks!

former_member182372
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

According to http://help.sap.com/saphelp_erp2005/helpdata/en/6f/80c8a05835b54ba68e5b79354b011a/frameset.htm

<application-j2ee-engine>
<start-up mode="manual | lazy | always"/>
</application-j2ee-engine>

you need to set it to <b>always</b> (the application is started when the server is started)

Answers (0)