cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

keyboard control

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi

i have a text edit where in the user will be entering a large amount of text ( but of a fixed length). As he is typing i need to show him the number of characters he has typed or the number of characters remaining from the given fixed length. Is there a solution for this? can any one help.

regards

vln

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Armin & Bharath,

Thanks for those replies. I understand that WebDynpro doesn't support clientside eventing. So even if I am able to achieve this functionality through some work around, there will be performance issues. But still I'm very curious to know if we can achieve this somehow (binding WD UI elements to Java listeners). I'll open another query , so that I myself can reward points for useful answers. Bharath, you wrote there have been some discussions on this , but when I searched I could find only discussions that relate to node listeners. So it would be very helpful if you could send me the urls of the said discussions.

Thanks in advance,

Best Regards,

Nibu.

Former Member
0 Kudos

The only thing you can do is to define a DDIC type based on "string" with a maxlength as required. This should restrict the number of characters that may be entered in the text editor.

You cannot track the number of entered characters on the client-side.

Armin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

This requirement seems to be really interesting....! I came very late into the forum, so don't know if anyone has already answered similar queries....Can anyone please tell me if I can bind a UI element with a Java Listener class?(Even workarounds are acceptable.....I tried n ways, but no success...waiting for that n+1 th way :-). I believe this requirement is really needed in many applications,

Best Regards,

Nibu.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Even if u write a java code i dont think you can read the data from WD UI element in run time.

Bcoz the data gets stored only after an action occurs.

And since the data gets stored in a variable only after any action is generated plus since that should be a WD plus since there is no action which is generated for key presses......

There have been 2 or 3 posts in the same forum.Just have a look at them. You might have a better idea of the whole issue.

And as far as i have heard<b> AWT</b> is not supported in WebDynpro.

Regards

Bharathwaj

Message was edited by: Bharathwaj R

guru_subramanianb
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Lakshmi,

As webdynpro meta model is different from other programming languages and applications, direct keyboard control which we can use in languages like java is not possible in Webdynpro.

The only solution is write your logic in java for keyboard control and integrate the method in webdynpro on some event action.

what Nibu says is correct.

Regards,

Guru

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Lakshmi,

I dont think WebDynpro has a Keyboard listener of your requirement. The only thing you can do is, write a listener program in Java & trigger it from WebDynpro. (I just have this idea, but haven't tried it out. I'll try this out & if possible will send the code).

Best Regards,

Nibu.

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi lakshmi,

I dont think that is possible without any action on client side

Check this link

Regards

Rohit

Message was edited by: Rohit Radhakrishnan