cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tar backup failed

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello gurus,

As I m trying to take the tar backup from the AIX5.3 im getting the following error "segmentation fault"

As before the message I m getting the messages as

" tar : 0511-163 ./proc/1335382/fd/31456 is linked to a path name that is too long."

I m unable to take the atar backup .Please suggest how should I proceed .I m taking the tar backup on the local tape drive.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Amit

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

you can´t backup the "/proc" filesystem, it´s not a real filesystem but an in-memory filesystem that contains actual processes, system configurations etc.

Exclude /proc

--

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Markus,

Thanks for the reply.Actually I m not trying to take the proc backup but trying to take the backup of / .So please could u help me by guiding what all files are supposed to be backuped and how should i exclude the files or directories which are not necessary.Please also let me know the list of files which should and should not take backup.As this backup will be ussed for restoration also.

Would also require to know the command to take the backup as per the above mentioned conditions.As I had also checked the man tar command which says that only file or directory can be excluded per line.So would request yopu please guide me to overcome the issue.

Eagerly waiting for the positive response.

Thanks in advance.

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

First, the standard ´tar´ will not cross filesystem boundaries. If you backup / everything beyond that will be backed up except for those filesystems, that are mounted separately. This is configuration dependent.

If this backup is for a restore I highly recommend putting the machine into single user mode and THEN take the backup because running in multiuser you can´t make sure, that something isn´t changed during the backup.

I don´t know your filesystem setup and where you installed applications (aside from SAP) so I can´t give any advises here.

For a desaster recover scenario I recommend the AIX tools "

mksysb

" and "

savevg

" instead of using tar. Mksysb creates a tape recoverable boot image.

After you´ve done that, I´d use savevg to backup the rest of the volume groups, this is much easier and will prevent permissions/acls and links.

--

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Markus,

Thanks for your valuable reply.I do agree with you.But my company wants me also to have an tar backup.which they think is more useful for restoration.As I had already taken before the mksysb backup on the tape successfully.But now i want to take the tar backup.As even after getting the error i am also eager to know the reason for the error and also want to have an tar backup.While running the backup i had started it in single user mode.

As the below mentioned list is of filesystem and the mounted on information.

[File system Mounted on

/dev/hd4 /

/dev/hd2 /usr

/dev/hd9var /var

/dev/hd3 /tmp

/dev/hd1 /home

/proc /proc

/dev/hd10opt /opt

/dev/fslv00 /ml

/dev/oraclelv /oracle

/dev/idslv /oracle/IDS

/dev/stagelv /oracle/stage/102_64

/dev/clienlv /oracle/client

/dev/sapmntlv /sapmnt/IDS

/dev/saplv /usr/sap

/dev/translv /usr/sap/trans

/dev/orawedlv /oracle/WED

/dev/wedlv01 /oracle/WED/sapdata1

/dev/wedlv02 /oracle/WED/sapdata2

/dev/wedlv03 /oracle/WED/sapdata3

/dev/wedlv04 /oracle/WED/sapdata4

/dev/oraloglv01 /oracle/WED/origlogA

/dev/oraloglv02 /oracle/WED/mirrlogB

/dev/oraloglv03 /oracle/WED/origlogB

/dev/oraloglv04 /oracle/WED/mirrlogA

/dev/oraloglv00 /oracle/WED/oraarch

/dev/oralv00 /oracle/WED/102_64

/dev/sapwedlv00 /sapmnt/WED

/dev/sapwedlv01 /usr/sap/WED

/dev/templv001 /sapcd

Eagerly waiting for the positive response

Thanks in advance

Regards,

Amit

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

/proc isn´t a regular filesystem, you can´t back it up, it´s created when you boot the system, start programs, etc. It´s an "in memory" filesystem, nothing is on harddisk to be "backed up".

If you use a tar backup, you would need to (in case of disaster recovery):

- install the operating system from scratch (tape, CD, whatever)

- use the tar command to recover your files

- adapt links (they are not backed up by default)

If you use mksysb, you

- insert the tape and install the rootvg from the tape

- recover the rest of the backups saved before with savevg

Using tar your will to do something like

cd /

tar -f /dev/<tapedevice> 
-cvph / 
/usr 
/var 
/tmp 
/home 
/opt 
/ml 
/oracle 

and so on.

--

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Markus,

Thanks for the reply.I just want to make myself clear that the process you had sent is not for backup but for the restoration "tar -f /dev/<tapedevice> \".

I also agree that /proc cannot be backedup.But i m still confused that how will i take the tar backup.Or in simple ... you had got the file system mentioned before ok.So now please tell me what command should i give to start the tar backup.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Amit

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

No - it´s for backup

-f points to the device (which is the tape device)

-c CREATES the archive

-x RESTORES the archive

I suggest getting a good book on AIX administration.

--

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Markus,

Thanks for your valuable reply.I will try to take the backup today and will get back to you.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Amit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

Can anyone update on this as i m planning to take backup and restore the same.

Thanks in advance .

Regards,

Amit