cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tar backup

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello gurus,

As I m trying to take the tar backup from the AIX5.3 im getting the following error "segmentation fault"

As before the message I m getting the messages as

" tar : 0511-163 ./proc/1335382/fd/31456 is linked to a path name that is too long."

I m unable to take the atar backup .Please suggest how should I proceed .I m taking the tar backup on the local tape drive.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Amit

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

0 Kudos

Hi Amit,

it appears that you are trying to archive the /proc file system which is not a real file system but an interface to the AIX kernel. It does not make sense to include it in the archive, you should exclude it with "tar -X ExcludeList".

Best Regards,

Henning Sackewitz

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Henning,

Thanks for the reply.Actually I m not trying to take the proc backup but trying to take the backup of / .So please could u help me by guiding what all files are supposed to be backuped and how should i exclude the files or directories which are not necessary.Please also let me know the list of files which should and should not take backup.As this backup will be ussed for restoration also.

Would also require to know the command to take the backup as per the above mentioned conditions.

Eagerly waiting for the positive response.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Amit

0 Kudos

Hi Amit,

when you tar the "/" root directory, everything is included, also the /proc directory. Unfortunately I don't have enough AIX expertise to give you advise what files/directories should be archived for an AIX backup. In any case you should also test the restore step to make sure that your backup actually is complete.

As for the tar command, please do a "man tar" and search for "exclude" , this will give you all the information you need.

Best Regards,

Henning

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Henning ,

Thanks for the immediate reply.As thanks for providing knowledge that root includes the /proc also.As I also checked the man tar command in which for excluding the file or the directory.It says that only one filename or directory per line which are to be excluded from the tar archive being created, extracted from or listed. The -X option can be specified multiple times and it takes precedence over all other options.

Please tell me how should i overcome my problem.Or how should i take the backup.

Eagerly waiting for the reply.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Amit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

Can anyone update on the message as I m facing the issue and want to get resolved.As I had already done successfully the savevg , datavg and root vg backup.But i want to take the tar backup as i want to check where i had got mistaken and is also the requirement of my org.

Eagerly waiting for the positive reponse.

Thanks in advance

Regards,

Amit

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If you can find an AIX forum on the internet, I would check over there. This is not a SAP issue!

good luck.