cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems using Visual Composer with Web Dynpro runtime

christine_evans
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I am currently trying to build a Visual Composer iView and we need to use the Web Dynpro runtime rather than Flash because it needs to work with a screen reader for users with sight problems. Which is a pity because Flash works fine. But when I use Web Dynpro runtime I'm getting the following problems:

a) When I define fields and pushbuttons in forms where Align Contents is set to Absolute, they do not appear at runtime in the positions in which I've placed them - all form elements are aligned vertically. The only other options are to align all fields vertically or align all fields horizontally. This lack of flexibility makes it rather difficult to create a good screen design; the only option seems to be to create a separate form for each set of differently aligned fields, which leads on to the next problem. .

b) When I define more than one form on a page, again at runtime the forms do not always appear in the positions in which I've placed them; the compiler seems to calculate how much space it needs to display the screen elements and then re-sizes and re-positions the forms accordingly, ignoring what I've told it to do.

c) Toolbar pushbuttons do not appear on forms (they do appear on tables). Irritating, but at least I can still create pushbuttons on the form itself.

There are other issues, but the main problems is that it appears that when I use VC with Web Dynpro I cannot trust the editor layout at all and the only way I can build something that looks decent is to fiddle about with field / form sizes and positions, checking every change on the output, until hopefully I get it looking ok. Having to do this will dramatically increase the time taken to develop VC applications. Has anyone else experienced these problems with VC and Web Dynpro? Has anyone managed to overcome them?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member209575
Contributor
0 Kudos
christine_evans
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks, but neither of these describes the problems I've been having. And they are misleading since they say that you can use VC with Web Dynpro only with Web Services ie not directly with BAPIs / RFCs, but using it with BAPIs / RFCs is one of the few things that works well in our system.

The most recent problem I've found is that if you make a form or table read-only it will stay read-only in Flash but the fields are editable in Web Dynpro. The individual field disable option does work for Web Dynpro, but it turns the fields from black to a vey pale and almost invisible grey (this doesn't happen in Flash). And you can't seem to change this.

It does seem to be a bit pathetic that input fields can't be made read only. I've tried expression boxes, which are read-only anyway, but they appear in as pale a grey as the disabled input fields. And although plain text fields can be added to tables, they are pretty useless since they can only hold a single value and so all the lines will contain the same value.

I guess I should resign myself to the fact that I am never going to be able to produce a decent screen using VC and Web Dynprp.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Christine

May be CE may help you with its new features...check this link:-

<a href="https://www.sdn.sap.comhttp://www.sdn.sap.comhttp://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/a00a2587-3139-2a10-28b6-860591aa6ec6">Veteran's Guide – Visual Composer for SAP NetWeaver Composition Environment</a> -Page 9 -Portal & WebdynPro

Cheers

Navneet