cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MDM plus DMS for file storage

0 Kudos

Hello folks

We are planning to implement MDM for rich product catalogue for a customer; the latter already has SAP DMS (Document Management System from SAP ERP) where the product image files are stored on a SAP Content Server.

Can we leave the images stored on the DMS Content Server and just use the link in MDM ??? Has anyone achived this already ?

I suppose the url must be generated by DMS as it is only from this component that SAP ERP knows the file is in the Content Server...

Any hint/help on this is most welcome !

Thanks

/Sooriya

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Sorriya

Have you found a solution. I have the same problem. Part of the problem is that the documents i DMS is located in a databse som you can't just link to the file location from MDM.

Regards John-Kjell

reiko_enghardt
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello,

I´m consultant from SAP Germany with experiences in MDM and in DMS systems too.

SAP Content Server is a simple DMS system which is able to store documents and provide them later on demand. For using this CS it is required to have an SAP basis component SAP Archive link version http 4.5 or higher available. This interface is not delivered as an MDM component. But it can be integrated.

I implemented into a PoC such a solution. The major challenge will be to store an image into that content server.

The display of such documents should be able directly from a content server by using Data Managers WEB-pane or onto portal by accessing the content from the WEB-Service.

I wrote a document with a description of such an example.

I´m not sure whether it will be possible to add a document into this forum. But i will provide this document as seperatre mail on demand to everyone who´s interested in..

mailto:reiko.enghardt@sap.com

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sooriya,

I am not familiar with the DMS, but it sounds like what you want to do should be possible.

When loading images into MDM there is an option to select either "Store in repository" or "Link to original file only." In your case you could just select the "Link to original file only" option. You must browse to the file locations to load the images, so assuming that you can see the files from MDM it seems like it should work. Maybe someone with some better knowledge of DMS can clarify further.

Thanks,

Tim