cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DATA CLEANSING

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Can anyone explain me what is DATA CLEANSING?

Is this what we do before data migration?

thank you

with regards

chaitanya

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Your data should be cleansed before importing into a new system. ultimately it should be cleansed before and after any data is imported into your system from an outside source, and vice-versa if you are putting your data into any other outside source. (we don't know what kind of systems that data has been in, now do we ?) At the very least, if not cleansed, it should at least be protected by some encapsulation coverage to keep any bad, outside viruses or bugs off of it.

Due to the delicate nature of data, cleansing should be performed with a mild detergent solution. Data is, at it's most basic level, comprised of 0's and 1's. Using a small toothbrush can be effective on the 1's, but can be difficult to thouroughly clean out the inside of those nasty 0's. You can wrap a small towellete around the 1's and use it to clean out the inside of the 0's. A gentle in-and-out motion with a slight twisting should do the trick

Former Member
0 Kudos

LMAO

Excellent way of data cleansing that you described here. I am sure the data would be clean but not polished and shiny, do you have any suggestions for that?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I beleive IBM has a Data Polishing "horizontal" market. For every 1000 peices of master data, they will drive up in a yellow school bus and drop off 100 of their top consultants. Armed with top-quality rags and eco-friendly polishing solution they will polish all of your data.

These projects are on a time & materials basis, estimated at 6-18 months duration to complete (per 1000 peices of master data).

If for any reason you are not satisfied; they will promptly have 15 of their top lawyers sue whomever performed the inital data cleansing project.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Not exactly relevant to the initial issue but........ this is one of the funniest things I have ever seen, I had tears in my eyes from laughing......

Former Member
0 Kudos

MooseMan....Oh my god that was the funniest thing I have read in a long time....bro that just cracked me up so bad I was crying. Thanks for the laugh....Moose...I hope you are Canadian...Just another reason to love being part of Canada....

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

0 Kudos

Hi,

it depends on the data. In some use cases it is a manual approach like explained before. In other cases you want to clean business partners or remove unused data or remove the data which does not fit to latest customizing changes.

You could think about specific actions e.g. manual, own ABAP programs, LSMW and so on dependent on the strategy and goal you want to achieve.

For more details you could check e.g. www.data-cleansing-check.de - if you search in Google you will also find other offers which support the data migration approach.

Thanks

Alfred

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

As per me CLEANSING is a manual process in which u can clean the unwanted character in a file.

at the time of uploading some data this method is useful.

let a simple example- at the time of using LSMW to uploading the data we use a some flat file.

In that file if some unwanted character was there then after uploading we will get some error .

I hope it will help u to understand the concept.

regards

Dibya

Former Member
0 Kudos

Oh, and please remember to reward points to me if this helps answer your question