cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Web Dynpro Java replaced by Web Dynpro ABAP?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, all!

The release notes for ESS 1.2 (ERP6.0, Enh.Pack. 2) say that all WDJ applications within travel management have been replaced with WDA. Does anybody know if this reflects a general strategy of SAP - drawing back from WDJ, replacing existing Java-apps with ABAP and developing new scenarios in WDA?

It would be important to get a definite statement on this issue as we are now implementing ESS on portal basis and have to decide wheater to discard the old ITS-scenarios and modify the new Java-based Web Dynpros or keep the old ITS-services with interal ITS and wait for the WDA applications to arise.

Any hints are more than appreciated!

Regards,

Thomas

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

As nobody seems to know or care about this matter, let me give you some information I received from HCM forum: Yes, SAP is replacing all WDJ based ESS scenarios with WDA.

So, developers, in case you still didn' t realize: WDJ is deader than dead with rats leaving the sinking ship!

Former Member
0 Kudos

really?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Have a look at .

Regards,

Thomas

Former Member
0 Kudos

That's just nonsense. Only because some application switches from WDJ to WDA, you claim WDJ is dead?

Armin

Former Member
0 Kudos

No,

because

-) SAPs Java preacher no. 1 has gone,

-) every customer I ever visited hates the thoght of setting up a parallel

infrastructure,

-) there' s a reasonable enhancement concept & ddic integration for WDA,

-) WDA courses are booked out for months while WDJ course rooms remain

empty and

-) - referring to SAPs own statements - WDA should be used in case of code base

as well as developer knowledge lying in ABAP

I declare WDJ dead.

And believe me: I don' t like the though!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

we can stay here hours and hours to speak about what is better, what is alive, what is dead. Also we can say that WDJ have advantages that WDA haven't and vice versa, but there are a lot of forum posts about this ethernal discussion.

In short, in my opinion, the use of a java rather than abap depends from various reasons... the components our application will be connected, what our application will have to do, etc. etc. It's sure that ever we can solve the problem and sometimes we need to use something different from WDJ or WDA...

In general, a technology can be declared as dead when no one use it. It does not seem to be the case.

Regards,

Vito

StMonday
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi all!

Regarding the initial question of this thread: "The release notes for ESS 1.2 (ERP6.0, Enh.Pack. 2) say that all WDJ applications within travel management have been replaced with WDA. Does anybody know if this reflects a general strategy of SAP - drawing back from WDJ, replacing existing Java-apps with ABAP and developing new scenarios in WDA?", we would like to give the following statement.

This does not reflect a general strategy of SAP.

Web Dynpro is SAP's user interface strategy for both Java and ABAP. There is absolutely no reason to speculate that one implementation be preferred over the other. Both of them are equal and many products are being developed using Web Dynpro Java as well as many are using Web Dynpro ABAP.

Regarding the ESS 1.2 release notes there seems to be an misunderstanding of these by Thomas Würcher, however we have asked ESS Product Management to set the record clean.

Rüdiger Kretschmer and Stephan Ritter

Development Managers of WD ABAP / WD Java, SAP AG

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Hendrik_V
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

We don't plan any conversion nor retirement of ESS / MSS Java WD Applications into ABAP WD Applications. Only in cases where we have a major redesign of functionality we will use ABAP WD as development environment. Both WebDynpro Technologies are and will be supported and used by ERP in the future.

Best regards,

Hendrik Vordenbäumen

VP HCM Solution Management - SAP AG

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Hendrik Vordenbaeumen

That was a very clear answer. Thanks!! But now I have other doubts. To have an entire ESS MSS set up, are both WDA and WDJ necessary? If thats the case it is a problem. Not only does it complicate by increasing the number of UI technologies but the customer must also own skillsets for both WDJ ad WDA. Incase of custom development, the process of development will become tedious.

Thank you.

regards

LNV

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, Hendrik!

I really agree with LVN in taking mixed programming languages for ESS/MSS/HR Admin as no good idea. I attended the course HR250 (ESS) only some weeks ago, but it already seems to me that the whole curriculum (based on ECC5.0) already is outdated.

How should a company react on those implementation switches? It takes a lot of time, efforts and money to build the required resources, adapt the standards to businesses needs and do the quality assurance for a) infrastructure b) standard apps c) custom developments/modifications.

For HCM services we now have to run BSPs, WDAs, WDJs and still ITS-services - a complete nightmare.

Why does SAP not have the guts to say: Web Dynpro Java in ESS/MSS was - considering our own guidelines - just a startup project for the new development technology, but now we do have a mature and better integrated solution possibility and are going to switch all scenarios, which are by encapsulating business logic already perfectly prepared, to our base plattform?

How, e. g., should we implement enhancements/modifications in certain ESS services without knowing if the runtime for these apps remains stable for the next 2-3 years?

Regards,

Thomas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

I read this thread and a little bit worried.....I am a new comer in the Web Dynpro for java platform...Is it a right choise to start working in this field ?Where as per the discussion SAP is going replace its Web Dynpro for java with web dynpro for ABAP technology.

Former Member
0 Kudos

SAP is <b>not </b>replacing WDJ by WDA as has been clearly stated by the WD development managers in this thread.

Armin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, Indranil!

Sorry for worrying you - the title of my question seems truly a little misleading. As it seems to me now, SAPs switching some WD applications within their ERP step by step ("within major redesigns") from Java to ABAP which seems quite reasonable to me as WDA offers better integration into ECC and well known enhancement possibilities for ABAPers.

As Armin said in few words: There are still lots of other use cases for this technology - CAF, KMC, a.s.o.

Regards,

Thomas