AII User- and Device - Integration???

Former Member
0 Kudos

USER INTEGRATION

As I found in the AII helpfiles, the AII provides 3 userinterfaces:

- desctop

- Webbrowser

- mobile devices

Mobile devices support a certain set of actions: commission_tag, load_unload, pack_unpack, complete_document, assign_document, unassign_document.

The desctop-interfaces offers the user the whole AII-

functionality.

What's about the Webbrowser. Is its functionality equal to the desctop-interface or limited to a certain set of actions as they are provided by the mobile devices?

DEVICE INTEGRATION

The device integration is archieved by a device controller from a sap partner.

Is there the possibility to integrate rfid devices without a device controller? If that is the case, at what time do I use a device controller and when is it not necessary to use one?

Is it correct, that mobile devices are integrated into the AII directly while fixed devices are connected by a device controller? What is that for?

I found an essay with the title "Integrating Automatic Data Acquisition with Business Processes - Experiences with SAP's Auto-ID Infrastructure"

http://www.vldb.org/conf/2004/IND6P1.PDF

Due to this essay message processing in the device controller is based on Data Processors. The authors differentiate:

- filters

- enrichers

- aggregators

- writers

- buffers

- senders

Is this functionality provided for the integration of mobile devices through a device controller of a sap partner as well as by the direct device integration by the aii?

Thank you for answering.

Message was edited by: Dirk Schmidt

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

There are two parts to answer this question. First, accessing AII and related SAP functionality can be achieved through several interfaces. AII can be managed via the SAP GUI interface, and there is also a JAVA cockpit that runs in a browser. THe SAP GUI interface gives full control over AII and other SAP applications and transactions in your Web Application Server. THe JAVA Cockpit was the original interface, has certain limitiations, and needs further review because dertain functionality is not fully implemented in the cockpit. In addition, we have implemented functionality and accessed WM and AII transactions through SAP Console running on a mobile device. This needs to be differentiated from a mobile application for RFID controlling the reader from specifically using AII. SAP provides some mobile interfacing that can be used with a JAVA client, if you can run the SAP JAVA Gui, on a mobile device. Others have developed custom applications.

The second part of your question relates to controlling readers and printers which fall into the class of fixed and mobile devices. The current state of technology finds that employing third party middleware and non - SAP software solutions ( possibly custom developed) are the predominant way to control devices. These solutions control the reading and printing, and then send the data to AII. Several vendors and SAP have made it possible to directly interact with a device from SAP, excluding a true middleware solution. However, the inbound and outbound activities between SAP AII and the devices has pros and cons. Limitation exist in controlling multiple device, flexibility and the challenge to deal with different hardware. This will evolve as hardware becomes more intelligent and appliances emerge. Middleware solutions address small and large scale implementations, device telemetry, management, configuration and control of many hardware devices. SAP is not producing device controllers and has recommended customers take advantage of the leading middleware providers to effectively integrate RFID device with AII. This applies to both mobile and fixed devices.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you very much for your detailed answer.

Regards.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Randy, a couple of follow-up questions:

>>THe JAVA Cockpit ..dertain functionality is not fully implemented in the cockpit.

1. Which functionality IS implemented - Assign Doc/Write/Pack ?

2. Can the Java screens be deployed in Windows CE, or does it require Win2K/XP ?

Thanks in advance

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Santanu,

The Java Cockpit has many of the functions for AII, but I haven't compared it fully. I've found it limits some areas to display where in the SAP Gui you can get into complete change and configuraiton. ALso, I kept getting java errors on certain actions. The inside scoop is that the java side ( the original target interface) had so many "challenges" in AII 2.0, that they went back into the ABAP to complete the funcitonality in AII 2.1.

You can actually use the SAP JAVA GUI if you have full java client support, and access it in the browser. Its just an alternative to the SAP Client of course.

Your JAVA cockpit, and java screens can run on laptops, but Windows CE doesn't have full java client. Its processor dependent. You need to check into Pocket PC or Windows Moblile for adding full support. I'm working in those areas, so I will post my findings as they come up.

To clarify AII actions, I didn't mean to address all the commands use in an RFID action like write, pack and others ( in SAP GUI vs the AII Cockpit). There are about 40 pre- installed AII rules with different commands, and you can change and add your own commands and rules as you build out your solutions. I recommned looking into the SPRO transactions and the AII rules area to see how this is setup.

Let me know if that helps answere some of your questions.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Randy,

I was wondering why AII GUI changed from 2.0 to 2.1 - thanks for your insight !

We were planning to use a handheld reader running Win CE; from your reply, it doesn't seem to be a good idea - at the very least, we will have to test extensively before we can deploy.

Thanks a lot !

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

do anyone have informations about the Data Processors of the Device Controller I mentioned above? Is the Device Controller those autors of the article are describing the former device management solution which have been developed by the SAP itself. Or is it a proposal of functunalities which should be supported by a device controller delivered by a vendor of RFID-devices.

Thanks for reply.

Dirk

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dirk,

The data processors I think you are referring to are the functions in the device controllers/middleware. The activities like - filters

- enrichers

- aggregators

- writers

- buffers

- senders

are built into and managed by the Device Controller software drivers and related applications. That's the value position that ConnecTerra and others are bringing to manage all the different hardware out there. There are some functions and processes in SAP AII, but they are of a slightly different nature. SAP will manage data that conforms to their message requirement, and the device controller and middleware will deal with the raw data coming off devices. As devices become more intelligent, the logic will begin to reside on them to make devices more "plug and play", but then you may need to expand your SAP development around AII to manage the output. SAP did some initial development and had built a device controller ( for test/development), but has since moved that out as opportunity for the industry experts. They are not in the device control business.

Randy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

can anybody tell me where i can find the JAVA cockpit?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dirk,

Just to clarify, there are lots of opportunities to use moblie readers. You just need different levels of java support to use the gui from SAP. You can develop and deploy mobile applicaitons to mobile RFID readers and mobile device to work with SAP and AII. A java app may need a full java client, so check whats on the mobile reader you are looking at. We are working with mobile apps and AII/RFID with Intermec handhelds and Ipaqs.