cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to debug due to symbols not being loaded

Former Member
0 Kudos

Has anyone had this issue? I can deploy the code and run it in debug mode, but my breakpoints are not getting hit. I have set the portal's production mode to false and am including the debug information in the PAR also.

"The breakpoint will not currently be hit. No symbols have been loaded for this document."

Any help appreciated. Thanks - Shawn.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Shawn - did you figure anything out for this? I am getting this problem as well and I am doing nothing with debugging. In fact it's our first attempt to get PDK patch 3 to work on our Portal.

Former Member
0 Kudos

This is my error specifically.

Exception Details: System.InvalidOperationException: Mutex could not be created.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[InvalidOperationException: Mutex could not be created.]

System.Web.Compilation.CompilationMutex..ctor(Boolean initialOwner, String name, String comment) +212

System.Web.Compilation.CompilationLock..cctor() +112

[TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for "System.Web.Compilation.CompilationLock" threw an exception.]

System.Web.Compilation.CompilationLock.SetMutexState(Int32 state) +0

System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.GetParserCacheItemInternal(Boolean fCreateIfNotFound) +21

System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.GetParserCacheItem() +32

System.Web.UI.TemplateControlParser.CompileAndGetParserCacheItem(String virtualPath, String inputFile, HttpContext context) +120

System.Web.UI.TemplateControlParser.GetCompiledInstance(String virtualPath, String inputFile, HttpContext context) +36

System.Web.UI.PageParser.GetCompiledPageInstanceInternal(String virtualPath, String inputFile, HttpContext context) +43

System.Web.UI.PageHandlerFactory.GetHandler(HttpContext context, String requestType, String url, String path) +44

System.Web.HttpApplication.MapHttpHandler(HttpContext context, String requestType, String path, String pathTranslated, Boolean useAppConfig) +691

System.Web.MapHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication+IExecutionStep.Execute() +95

System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +173

Former Member
0 Kudos

Joseph - I have not returned to this since. I will wait until it is officially released and supported before/if I decide to look at this again.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Shawn. This is quite frustrating and I can't help but feel some irony in seeing the advertisement for the .Net PDK survey a couple posts up.

We had the PDK working with patch 2, but when we upgraded to SP12 we decided to upgrade to patch 3, and now we cannot get it working again.

We are a .Net development shop for web and we are analyzing Web Dynpro and .Net PDK, so I must get it to work. The troubles we've faced with both technologies is bordering humorous.

But, back to the issue... if it helps anyone, we're on EP6, SP12 running on Unix. The NT server is Windows 2k, SP4. We are running a network trace to our NT server and verifying that the portal is in communication with the configured backup NT node (we are not yet sure why it is using the backup and not primary but that's another story). We are running only the NT service version of the Portal .Net runtime, not the console (I've found where it was stated running both can cause the Mutex error).

We're continuing to investigate, I'll follow up if we figure anything out.

Former Member
0 Kudos

The Requirements Verification Tool from SAP has verified that everything is okay.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have also made sure my project is set to release mode before creating and deploying the PAR.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'll follow up also if anything develops on my end. Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

We're going to apply patch 3 hotfix 1, which does not claim to fix this, but we may as well do it so it's easier for SAP to help us.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Joseph,

1.In order to debug the project mode must to be "Debug" and not "Release".

2.Can you try the following scenario?

a.stop the .net runtime service if its run on the development machine.

b.create new "SAP Portal Application" project

c.put a breakpoint at Page_Load

d.click "start" or F5 in order to debug it.

please tell me what's happen

Regards,

Yehuda

Former Member
0 Kudos

I followed your steps, I had no troubles at all, it opened an IE window and VS.Net stopped at the break point I put in.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Interesting, I tried my iViews in the portal again, they are working now. I wish I knew what fixed it.

Former Member
0 Kudos

This is interesting. It appears hotfix 1 fixed the issue. We applied the hotfix 1 part that goes on the NT server for the runtime... we did not apply it to the VS.Net tools yet, nor the portal yet (waiting for chance to get a restart in). The hotfix is the only thing we changed.

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am not trying to debug. I'm not in debug mode and I have no break points. I just want my Hello World iView to run. I will see what I can do to do those steps though.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shawn

Please also ensure that you compile the project in VS.net with the "Debug" mode and not the "Release" mode.

Compiling in "Release" mode and then trying to debug would also typically show a question mark on the breakpoint and give you the message

"The breakpoint will not currently be hit. No symbols have been loaded for this document."

Regards, Gaurav

Former Member
0 Kudos

Guarav - thanks for your reply. I am in Debug mode. I have confirmed the PDB is in the PAR. But you are right - the same thing would happen if I was in Release.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Have you filled the PDK for .NET survey yet? You can win an MP3 player!!!

http://feedback.sap.com/efs/vote?campaign=39c7899ecca40a6709a638bd0388ac8b&org=332

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can you please provide more details on your development environment?

1.VS Version ?

2.Portal Version?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sure. VS.NET 2003. SAP Enterprise Portal 6.0 (according to the Portal Information tab). I have installed the PDK 1.0 patch 3 (did not install the runtime component locally) and the SAP .NET Connector 2.0.

I can compile and deploy the component to the portal where it does work.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have set the project's config properties for debugging. The debug mode is program (set to launch ep.exe) and the compile time arguement I am passing is 8050. I have tried 8060 also to no avail.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have tried it with the portal runtime installed locally also but had issues. I have tried it with differing variations of the local runtime using port 8050 or 8060 while varying the projects compile time parms between those 2 also.

Every time I get "System.InvalidOperationException occurred in system.web.dll. Additional information: Mutex could not be created."

Former Member
0 Kudos

try to add the following line's to your code:

<i>System.Diagnostics.Debugger.Launch();

System.Diagnostics.Debugger.Break();</i>

and tell me what's happen.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I appreciate the responses. I currently do have the runtime installed and running locally.

I removed all breakpoints and put the 2 lines as the first lines in my OnInit. I get the same mutex error as before. When I have a break point set, it contains the question mark when running the project (indicating symbols not being loaded and break point will not be hit).

Former Member
0 Kudos

I just checked my Event Log and saw that I have a SAP log...here is what it contains:

Event Type: Error

Event Source: PortalDesign

Event Category: None

Event ID: 0

Date: 7/25/2005

Time: 11:49:31 AM

User: N/A

Computer: XXXXXXXXX

Description:

1) Exception Information

Exception Type: System.InvalidOperationException

Message: Cannot call Invoke or InvokeAsync on a control until the window handle has been created.

TargetSite: System.Object MarshaledInvoke(System.Windows.Forms.Control, System.Delegate, System.Object[], Boolean)

HelpLink: NULL

Source: System.Windows.Forms

StackTrace Information

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.MarshaledInvoke(Control caller, Delegate method, Object[] args, Boolean synchronous)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.Invoke(Delegate method, Object[] args)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.Invoke(Delegate method)

at SAP.Portal.Design.Deployment.DeployManager.DeployCallBack(IAsyncResult ar)

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Debug Output is below. It shows ep.exe being loaded with no symbols.

'DefaultDomain': Loaded 'c:\windows\microsoft.net\framework\v1.1.4322\mscorlib.dll', No symbols loaded.

'ep': Loaded 'C:\Program Files\SAP\Portal Add-in for Visual Studio 2003\Debug\ep.exe', No symbols loaded.

'ep.exe': Loaded 'c:\windows\assembly\gac\system.windows.forms\1.0.5000.0__b77a5c561934e089\system.windows.forms.dll', No symbols loaded.

'ep.exe': Loaded 'c:\windows\assembly\gac\system\1.0.5000.0__b77a5c561934e089\system.dll', No symbols loaded.

'ep.exe': Loaded 'c:\windows\assembly\gac\sap.portal.web\1.2.0.0__50436dca5c7f7d23\sap.portal.web.dll', No symbols loaded.

'ep.exe': Loaded 'c:\windows\assembly\gac\sap.portal.common\1.2.0.0__50436dca5c7f7d23\sap.portal.common.dll', No symbols loaded.

'ep.exe': Loaded 'c:\windows\assembly\gac\system.web\1.0.5000.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\system.web.dll', No symbols loaded.

'Domain2': Loaded 'c:\windows\microsoft.net\framework\v1.1.4322\mscorlib.dll', No symbols loaded.

'fe27d8a4': Loaded 'c:\windows\assembly\gac\sap.portal.web\1.2.0.0__50436dca5c7f7d23\sap.portal.web.dll', No symbols loaded.

'fe27d8a4': Loaded 'c:\windows\assembly\gac\system.runtime.remoting\1.0.5000.0__b77a5c561934e089\system.runtime.remoting.dll', No symbols loaded.

'fe27d8a4': Loaded 'c:\windows\assembly\gac\system.web\1.0.5000.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\system.web.dll', No symbols loaded.

'fe27d8a4': Loaded 'c:\windows\assembly\gac\system\1.0.5000.0__b77a5c561934e089\system.dll', No symbols loaded.

'fe27d8a4': Loaded 'c:\windows\assembly\gac\system.xml\1.0.5000.0__b77a5c561934e089\system.xml.dll', No symbols loaded.

'fe27d8a4': Loaded 'c:\windows\assembly\gac\system.web.mobile\1.0.5000.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\system.web.mobile.dll', No symbols loaded.

'fe27d8a4': Loaded 'c:\windows\assembly\gac\system.web.regularexpressions\1.0.5000.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\system.web.regularexpressions.dll', No symbols loaded.

'fe27d8a4': Loaded 'c:\windows\microsoft.net\framework\v1.1.4322\temporary asp.net files\epapp1400\b595ab99\21c94177\ea6en8u5.dll', Symbols loaded.

'fe27d8a4': Loaded 'c:\windows\assembly\gac\microsoft.visualbasic\7.0.5000.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\microsoft.visualbasic.dll', No symbols loaded.

'fe27d8a4': Loaded 'c:\windows\assembly\gac\sap.connector.rfc\2.0.0.0__50436dca5c7f7d23\sap.connector.rfc.dll', No symbols loaded.

'fe27d8a4': Loaded 'c:\windows\assembly\gac\system.drawing\1.0.5000.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\system.drawing.dll', No symbols loaded.

'fe27d8a4': Loaded 'c:\windows\assembly\gac\system.web.services\1.0.5000.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\system.web.services.dll', No symbols loaded.

'fe27d8a4': Loaded 'c:\windows\assembly\gac\sap.web\1.2.0.0__50436dca5c7f7d23\sap.web.dll', No symbols loaded.

'fe27d8a4': Loaded 'c:\windows\assembly\gac\system.enterpriseservices\1.0.5000.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\system.enterpriseservices.dll', No symbols loaded.

'fe27d8a4': Loaded 'c:\windows\assembly\gac\sap.connector\2.0.0.0__50436dca5c7f7d23\sap.connector.dll', No symbols loaded.

'fe27d8a4': Loaded 'c:\windows\assembly\gac\system.data\1.0.5000.0__b77a5c561934e089\system.data.dll', No symbols loaded.

'fe27d8a4': Loaded 'c:\windows\assembly\gac\sap.portal.web.ui\1.2.0.0__50436dca5c7f7d23\sap.portal.web.ui.dll', No symbols loaded.

'ep.exe': Loaded 'c:\windows\assembly\gac\system.runtime.remoting\1.0.5000.0__b77a5c561934e089\system.runtime.remoting.dll', No symbols loaded.

'ep.exe': Loaded 'c:\windows\assembly\gac\system.drawing\1.0.5000.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\system.drawing.dll', No symbols loaded.

rima-sirich
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Shawn,

Before debugging, stop your local runtime running as Windows Service called "SAP NetWeaver Portal Runtime 1.0 Patch 3 for Microsoft .NET Server00".

Regards,

Rima.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shawn,

Just to explain something -

If you install the runtime on your machine, don't use F5 to debug, since when you click F5 a new local runtime is created for this debugging. So the 2 runtimes collide.

Either use F5, and then you don't need any runtime. (As I said, you need to stop it first).

<b>Note</b> - Setting the working port for <i>this</i> "local debug runtime" is done in the SAP options menu (reached through tools -> options).

Or -

Use "view in portal" to run your component, and attach VS to the ep process to actually debug.

Read more about it in the documentation -

https://media.sdn.sap.com/html/submitted_docs/dotnet/index.htm

There go to

Programming with PDK for .NET ->

Previewing and Debugging Portal Components ->

Debugging a Portal Component

Hope it clears things up,

Ofer

Former Member
0 Kudos

When I have the local runtime service running I get the Mutex error when I attempt to debug. It doesn't execute a single line of my code that I can tell. Maybe it would hit the breakpoint if not for the error.

When I stop the local runtime service and debug, the component does launch in the browser window. The comnponent even works. BUT no breakpoints are hit. No symbols are loaded and I can't debug.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Additional information - the server is Windows Server 2003 and my local machine is XP Pro.

Former Member
0 Kudos

When I turn off my local runtime and debug, it appears to be trying to launch a JIT debugger on the portal server.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Make sure you fill the pre-requisites stated in the "debugging" section of the documentation (see me previous post for location) - pdb file and settings in the server.

Regards,

Ofer

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ofer,

I hadn't seen your original post. I have all the prereqs as far as I can tell. I opened the PAR file with Winzip and confirmed that the PDB file is in it. I have stopped the local runtime. The SAP Project props are set the same as is outlined in the doc you referred me to.

In the project server explorer should I have an entry for localhost that is set as the current project, or is it ok to have it pointed the SAP portal?

Thanks,

Shawn

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Yes, the server expolorer should point to a valid SAP Portal (J2EE server, not .NET runtime). So - yes, it's ok to have it pointed to the SAP portal.

Did you try to do what Yehuda suggested with the lines of code that call the debugger? (I know you did when youo had both runtimes running at the same time, but did you try it only with the F5 option and local runtime disabled)?

Regards,

Ofer

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ofer,

I did. I attempts to launch a JIT compiler on the portal server itself (and fails) and causes the .NET runtime to stop running. I have to manually restart it.

It seems the code is all being executed on the server and not locally.

I really do appreciate your time, and everyone else's who has responded.

Shawn

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shawn,

I must say, I'm out of ideas. I suggest you open an OSS (support) message, specifying the component EP-PIN-DNT. There you can describe the entire problem and your system landscape, and maybe even refer them to this thread, to speed things up.

Regards,

Ofer

P.S: Just for making sure, could you try this on a different development machine? might be something wrong with your VS...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your help Ofer. I think I will have to table this for now...but will try again at a later time.