cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CMS Positioning in the system landscape

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi mates,

Currently, we have an environment XI DEV(SLD&CMS), QA(SLD), PRD(SLD) and Soln Mgr.

CMS is on DEV box and uses the SLD on DEV. So far we've been on XI 3.0 SP17, everything has been working well.

We are in the process of upgrading to PI 7.0 SP12 and re-evaluating positioning of CMS. We have a minor concern that, we sometimes have to bounce our DEV XI which will make CMS unavailable.

Whats the best practice for CMS positioning when we have SLD on each XI environment? Placing it on Soln Mgr or QA XI? Our primary use of CMS is for XI transports. We are not really sure of the robustness & advanatages of CTS + and think its early to go for it.

Are there any documents talking abt positioning the CMS like we have for positioning SLD?

I appreciate your inputs.

thx

praveen

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Praveen,

The best pracitse is to have two SLDs one one DEV serving DEV and Q

Other one on Production.

Two SLDs should be synched when ever there is a change, SLD provides this option by manual download and import of deltas.. These changes are very rare, so can be part of basis activity.

Also the adavantage of placing SLD on Production because Production mostly is Highly Available and SLD inherits thatr. SLD is one of crucial components for Production XI runtime and is advisable to keep on High Available environment.

Also SLD is not a very big app to hinder the perfomance of production.

I did this in all my implementations and works perfect.

There OSS notes for further analysis if you want to try

Thanks

Sujan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sujan,

I agree that one SLD for DEV+QA and another SLD for PRD is the better approach.

But my question is regd the position of CMS, not the SLD. In our case, we have a SLD running on each XI box and our PRD XI & SLD are running on HA. Only redundant thing compared to the suggested approach is we have separate SLDs for DEV & QA. We are not looking at changing our SLD strategy & positioning now.

In our case, what do you think is the best place for CMS?

thx

praveen