Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

User Id Rename

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello gurus,

what is the procedure to Rename the existing user id.

any Standard procedure is there? iam getting confustion of this doubt?

EG:GSMITH i wanto rename this existing user id to GSMITH1.

Could you please do let me know.

Many Thanks in advance!

Points would be rewardable for good suggestions.

Regards,

Sree

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sree.

Please remember that change documents are key to the User ID, if you utilize these documents for audit purposes for example, then document your renaming for traceability.

Regards

Ashley

7 REPLIES 7

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Srinivas,

You cannot rename a user in ABAP/JAVA. You can only copy GSMITH into GSMITH1 and then delete the old user.

Farooq.

0 Kudos

Hello Farooq,

Thanks for your input. i want to say some thing i came to know how to rename the user and had done that but i wanna explain to you also dont think bad or if you dont mind.

we can rename the user in SU01 just enter the user name which u want to rename. then slect usernames->rename. it will show current user name and it will ask to rename then u go ahead with rename. at the time of rename the old password must be invalid so u have to give new password for that user. that not a big deal beacuse when ever u rename the user then system will takes you in to logondata tab then u will understand to change the password.

Dont feel bad abt my answer.

If your require any further information please feel free to reach out me.

Regards,

sree.

WolfgangJanzen
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Ashley made a very important comment: all transactional data (that has resulted from actions performed by the user), in particular change documents, are using the userID as part of the table key.

I'd strongly advise not the rename the userID - unless you are sure that this particular user has not (yet) performed any actions that are relevant for auditing.

0 Kudos

Hello Sree,

Thank you very much for correcting me and there is nothing to feel bad about what you said. We are all just sharing our knowledge to solve our problems during the project :-).

Well mate, I mentioned about ABAP in CUA scenario. When you go to Users in Menu bar, we can see "Rename". Its never highlighted when we use CUA. I have seen this in different projects I worked where client was using CUA for UserManagement on ABAP side. If I am wrong on JAVA side, then please let me know. My apologise for not mentioning that I was talking about a scenario where CUA is present :-).

Thanks for your understanding and Good luck in finding your answer.

Farooq.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi srinivas,

<b>Rename the existing user</b><u></u>

Goto SU01-> specify user--> goto menu and click<b>User names</b> ->click <b>rename</b>> specify the old user ID an new old user ID.

Note :- <b>When you rename a user your old password will be invalid. So, Specify initial password and save the user.</b>

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sree.

Please remember that change documents are key to the User ID, if you utilize these documents for audit purposes for example, then document your renaming for traceability.

Regards

Ashley