cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clarification on External definition

Former Member
0 Kudos

hello,

I was looking File to IDoc scenario . After importing the IDOC in IR , an XSD will automatically pop up with the IDOC fields in the message mapping editor. Is that right.

In the blog it was saying that we need to create an external definition for IDOC. i was confused .

Please clarify the issue for me ,i am a newbe in XI Development and SDN

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (7)

Answers (7)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Thank you all for clarifying the doubt.

santhosh_kumarv
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Raju,

<b>External Definition</b> enables you to import a local WSDL, XSD, or DTD file to the Integration Repository and specify which parts of the schema to be used as a description for a message.

U can use this ED as

1.Inbound/Outbound in the Message Interface.

2.Source/Target structure for the Message Mapping.

In a scenario If there is a necessitity for changing the Occurance of some segment of the IDOC steps u perform is.

1.Import the IDoc to XI.

2.Export the IDoc(i.e XSD format) and save it to the local machine.

3.Make changes to the IDoc structure by modifying the XSD file in the local machine.

4.Save it as an XSD file Itself.

5.Import the XSD file in the IR under the External Defination.

6.Use this XSD in your Message Interface/Mapping which is same as IDoc structure but with some changes that u have made.

Go Thru this Blog <a href="/people/michal.krawczyk2/blog/2005/12/04/xi-idoc-bundling--the-trick-with-the-occurance-change Bundling - Trick without BPM</a> BY Michal Krawczyk where the Occurance of the IDoc is changed to 1...Unbounded from 1...999999999 by using the XSD.

Regards

Santhosh

<a href=" to set the thread to solved when you have received a solution</a>

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

<b>No </b>need to use External definition if you dont want to change the structure of the IDoc.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, in your scenario he changed idoc occurance 0- unbounded, so for that he imported the idoc after that he exported with .xsd extention and he changed the

occurance of idoc to unbounded by opening with notepad then he imported the idoc as external definition. when u make changes to existing idoc, you should import it as external definition only, that is the reason why in the blog he created external definition.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Raju,

Basically while desigining interface, In IR we just interested in source /target strcuture for mapping.

So when you import idoc in IR, it will import the structure of Idoc. ( In your case it is target structure). You do not need to externally import xsd of idoc in that case.

So in your case just import idoc in IR and your XSL will be there with idoc fields.

As mention above untill n unless you want change the target structure in case of idoc for eg. for bundling multiple idocs together..or some other attribute to match your requirement.....you can generate xsd for idoc using TC : WE60 and then you can modify this xsd as per requirement and import it as a external defination. So your new source/target stucture would be ready.

In your case you do not need to import xsd of idoc again.

Nilesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

No Need of Any External Def While Doing the File --IDOC Scenario, If U Dont Want to Change Anything in the Imported IDOC.

If u Want Any changes on IDOC means , U Need to Export it as XSD and Modify it And Create External Def . Then Import it into the External Def.

Reward Points if Helpful

Regards

Sesha

justin_santhanam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Raju,

The External definition of IDOC comes into picture only if you want to change the occurrences of IDOC structure. After importing IDOC from R/3 . You can directly drag and drop in mapping editor.

By the way which doc u referred, so tht it will be easy for us to suggest on seeing the content.

Best regards,

raj.