cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MDM Server : NetWeaver installation is not necessary?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have been assigned in a project which will require the usage of MDM for ironing data information between our Siebel and SAP system. I have got the information that in order to install MDM server, NetWeaver installation is not necessary.

I guess this is correct but from your experience, is it also recommended?

The installation will be on Linux with ORACLE DB.

Thanks in advance,

Loukas

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

SAP recommends that R/3 and MDM are integrated using XI (Netweaver). Here XI plays the role of a process integrator. You could use any other integration tool like Webmethods to ensure that R/3 talks to MDM.

The database could be oracle /sql server , the OS could be Windows etc.

What XI does is actually to transfer fiels from MDM to R/3 or any other system, MDM will generate files in certain formats like xml , excel etc. but to transfer these files to some other system like R/3 etc you need an integrator like XI.

Regards,

Anita

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anita,

the information you provided me is quite helpful. However the key point is that the architecture of the project suggests that we do not need to install the MDM server or as u said integrate it on our SAP R/3 4.7 system. The proposal is to install it as an independent server.

Nevertheless, very interesting the information regarding the XI process integrator.

Regards,

Loukas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Loukas,

if you want to use MDM, you (at least) need:

- a Database Server, Oracle is fine

- the MDM Server

- MDM Console for Repository maintenance

- MDM DataManager for viewing data

- MDM ImportManager for importing data

- MDM Syndicator for exporting data

You definitely do not need the whole Netweaver stuff - no application server or anything like that. However, if you want to integrate MDM into your system landscape, SAP XI is recommended to act a a message broker between any system and MDM. I don't know the requirements of XI.

You can run MDM Server on a single machine, together with the database and all the client tools can be on different machines.

I hope this helps. If you need further information, we'd need a more specific desciption of the requirements.

Best regards,

Martin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Martin,

you have clarified my question.

Thanks a lot for your response.

Regards,

Loukas