cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

question about Alert Framework in Solution Manager

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

We are planning to use Solution Manager as Central Monitoring Server, so I want to know what the advantage to use Solution Manager is, especially in Alerting.

We can define auto-reaction methods for monitors to send CCMS alerts to Alert Framework where the alerts can be forwarded to the personal responsible via Email or CCMS.

Is there any difference when using Solution Manager? Which additional functions dose Solution Manager provide in alerting?

In normal SAP Alert Framework, you can only define one receipt for escalation. Can Solution Manager support multiple level escalation? For example, an alert is sent to A, if the Alert is not confirmed by A, then the alert is forwarded to B automatically. The same way the alert can be forwarded to further persons.

Any idea?

Thanks!

Regards,

Hui

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Hui,

On my opinion there is no any advantage in useíng SAP Solution Manager as central alerting systems in respect to RZ20. The arguments are as follows:

- in SAP Solution Mnager you have performance restrictions on number of alerts to be displayed in one screen caused by the fact that the alerts are displayed in HTTP format

- All the customizing in SAP Solution Manager for System Monitoring is Solution specific and not transportable. It means that if you have got corrupted your system monitoring session (that happens not seldom) your settings are lost. If you have created another Solution for the same systems you have to perform customizing from the scratch

- Customizing is also not very esay to do. I would do recommend to use "User defined Alerts" Please have a look at the SAP Note 1023959 fro this topc

- SAP Solution Manager does not provide alerting mechanism -> you have to relay to ALM in any case. Here by the way to your second question I would say that it is possible implement exactly process you have described. In the ALM category you can use button escallation to define another person that would be informed via e-mail in case the first Recipient have not completed alert from this category within predefined time

+ The only feature that is unique with System Monitoring with SAP Solution Mnager is the possibility to change threshold values for all the MTEs / MTE Classes that are defined in User Define Alerts an one button click

At the conclussion I would say that there are some custommers that are using SM as monitoring platform But more pragmatical would be to configure RZ20 with help of Rule-based alerts and self- defined system groups and use ALM as alerting infrastructure. In this case you can save in plain XML file your Alert configuration and export it in any other system. ALM has on my opinion enogh functionality for alerting

Best Regards

Andrey

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Andrey,

Thanks for your reply, it confirms my confederation.

> In the ALM category you can use

> button escallation to define another person that

> would be informed via e-mail in case the first

> Recipient have not completed alert from this category

> within predefined time

I know this function.

But in this way, the ALM only supports "single Recipient escalation". Yes, the second person would be informed via email in case that the first person has not completed alert. But what I am interested is whether it is possible to define multilple level escalation. That means there should be third person, fourth person ..... being informed via email if the former person has not completed the alert.

Regards,

Hui