cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archive based on mask size question

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm going to be working with a client who has a production repository in MDME 4.0. It has a size of about 4.5GB. In order to prep for the interaction with the client next week, I've asked for an archive based on a mask. They've created a mask which contains about 10 records. The file size has been reduced to about 1GB.

What can I do to trim the file size down even further besides reducing the number of records?

Erika

Any other options can you think of for me to access the data?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Erika,

I am just thinking what kind of data is available in repository which takes 1GB for 10 records! As per my knowledge, there is no other to reduce the size of an archive file.

But, based on my experience, I want to share a small information. I faced lot of problems in unarchiving. The reason is original archive file came from MDM running on MySQL(MDM 4.0) and I was trying to unarchive on MDM running on Oracle (MDM 5.5).

All the best.

Regards,

Rajani Kumar K

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

This particular client had a ton of Images and Image Variants which were stored in the repository. The client stripped them and was able to get the file size down to 10 records. Unarchiving that small repository is another issue.

Regards,

Erika

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Erika - here are a couple of pointers which may help you:

1) Before archiving the repository, unload it in the Console, and then compact it. (Select the repository, right-click, and then choose "Compact" from the context popup menu.)

2) Note that even while you may be archiving only a small number of records, the entire Images, PDFs, Image Variants and any other BLOB (media) tables are always part of the archive.

Hope this helps.

Walter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Walter,

Thanks. It was the images and image variants that were the culprits

I'm sure I will be able to use your compact suggesting on future archive situation.

Just curious, does compacting help reduce BLOB data file size at all?

Erika

Former Member
0 Kudos

Compacting compacts the database structure. So if the user has physically deleted images (and not just their usage) from the catalog, then compacting may have an impact.

Walter