cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heterogeneous system copy for SAP R3/Enterprice 4.7 Ext Set 1.10 Oracle DB

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I need your help about heterogeneous system copy for SAP R3/Enterprice 4.70 on Oracle DB. I check the documentacion in SAP (https://websmp106.sap-ag.de/osdbmigration) and we have the case with SAP Support for that. I asked to SAP about the procedures for migration but they redirect my to the same link.

But that we need is to start with the test and we can not find any Guides or procedures about it.

We download the CD's and Guide for SAP R3/Enterprice on UNIX: ORACLE (Using SAP R3 Enterprice Core 4.70, SAP R3 Enterprice Extension Set 1.10), we made the instalation on IBM servers AIX S.O. and installed the Default SAP DB, we upgrade to Release 6.40 and then we migrate the Oracle DB but with Oracle Commands (export and import), i understood that will be with the SAPInst or R3Load, that we need to know.

With the same CD's of the installation we found the option Export SAP System Server Database but we have problems with environment configurations and we want to found something to solve it. Or maybe we are wrong with this procedure and need to use other SAP tools. And we want to know if we are in the right way or not.

I found the note 784931 but i am not shure about it.

Thanks in advance

Reynaldo Rebolledo.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The basic procedure is:

Source system:

- start sapinst and export your database using R3load

Target system:

- install central instance

- install database instance by selecting "R3load export" instead of the default CDs and select the export you just created from your source system

--

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Markus

Could you have some notes about sapinst and R3load ?

Regards.

Reynaldo Rebolledo.

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Check the system copy guides (they are both for homogenerous and heterogeneous system copies):

http://service.sap.com/systemcopy

--

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Markus.

Regards

Reynaldo Rebolledo.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus

We are trying to export the DB (60GB Total) using the R3Load Procedure, the process start at 13:00 and now at 17:00 we can not see any information in the export directory. As you can see in the SAPInst directory the only change was at 15:53 with the new file R3szchkExport.log.

bash-2.05$ pwd

/export/home/desadm/export_DES

-rw-rr 1 root other 1 Aug 29 13:04 R3ldctl.log

-rw-rr 1 desadm dba 60678 Aug 29 13:04 R3ldctlExport.log

-rw-rr 1 root other 85405 Aug 29 13:04 sapinst.log

-rw-rr 1 root other 134900 Aug 29 13:04 sapinst_dev.log

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root other 3574722 Aug 29 13:04 keydb.xml

-rw-rr 1 root other 0 Aug 29 13:04 R3szchk.log

-rw-rr 1 desadm dba 580 Aug 29 15:53 R3szchkExport.log

-rw-rr 1 root other 47459 Aug 29 15:56 instgui.log

Like you see the other logs are not upadet. The process still running since 13:04:

bash-2.05$ ps -fea | grep R3

desadm 6743 4918 0 17:10:37 pts/3 0:00 grep R3

desadm 5485 5193 0 13:04:45 pts/2 0:13 /sapmnt/DES/exe/R3szchk -s DB -f /oracle/DES/export/DATA/SAPSDIC.STR /oracle/DE

b

Do you have and idea about it.

Thanks for yor help

Regards.

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

This normal

The R3szchk (which is R3 Size Check) does a "select count(*) from 20.000 tables - and this needs time.

If I do something like that on one of our 1.4 TB systems, it´s likely to take 30 hours or more. The whole process is also dependent on your underlying storage system, how fast the system is able to actually read the data.

For a production migration there are ways to run the R3szchk before during normal operating time and use the results for the actual migration then.

--

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus

According with your DB export, the time for 47 GB is one hour, for our case (60GB) the estimated time for the export is about two hours. But the export is running since 5 hours and it still running.

If we do not receive any error, must we left it continue?.

Thanks.

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The EXPORT itself may run 2 hours but you´re not there yet, this is just the size check.

Yes - keep it running, it will take time.

--

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok Markus

Thanks for your help.

Regards.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus

The total process takes 16 hours.

We already install the Central Instance, the kernel is 620.

And then we are installing the Database Instance with the option System Copy /

Migration on IBM AIX with Oracle DB and the process sends and error in

the phase of creating DB.

The error in the sapinst.log:

• Transaction begin

TRACE

trying to generate task file: /sapmnt/DES/exe/R3load -ctf

I "/oracle/DES/sapbackup/export_DES/DATA/SAP0000.STR" "/temporal/nuevo_db/DDLORA.TPL" "/temporal/nuevo_db/SAP0000.TSK" ORA -

l "/temporal/nuevo_db/SAP0000.log" -o D

ERROR 2007-08-30 23:01:47

MSC-01004 Couldn't create task file /temporal/nuevo_db/SAP0000.TSK

• Transaction end

The error in the SAP0000.log

==========================================================

/sapmnt/DES/exe/R3load: START OF LOG: 20070830230147

/sapmnt/DES/exe/R3load: sccsid @(#)

$Id: //bas/620/src/R3ld/R3load/R3ldmain.c#6 $ SAP

/sapmnt/DES/exe/R3load: version R6.20/V1.2

/sapmnt/DES/exe/R3load -ctf

I /oracle/DES/sapbackup/export_DES/DATA/SAP0000.STR /temporal/nuevo_db/DDLORA.TPL /temporal/nuevo_db/SAP0000.TSK ORA -

l /temporal/nuevo_db/SAP0000.log -o D

(TPL) ERROR: unknown template variable "lob_cache"

/sapmnt/DES/exe/R3load: job finished with 1 error(s)

/sapmnt/DES/exe/R3load: END OF LOG: 20070830230147

==========================================================

We made the export from SUN Kernel Release 6.40 and trying to import on

IBM AIX but how i toll you later we have the CD's installation on Kernel Release 6.20. Both are Oracle DB 9.2. We do not know if the problem is with kernel versions or others. Just tell you how we are installing. We think in other option but we want to ask you if it could be: install the DB Instance without the system copy/migration and install the default DB, then update the kernel to 640 and then try to execute again intall DB instance but with the system copy/migration option. What do you think ?

Best Regards

Reynaldo Rebolledo.

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

To me the problem is simply because the system can´t write to the directory. Is it NFS mounted?

--

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus

No both CD's and installation are local to server.

The problem was that we are using 6.40 in the export side and 6.20 in the import side. We patched the target with kernel 6.40 and continue with the installation of DB instance and the import works ok.

Thanks

Reynaldo Rebolledo.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus

Sorry to make a lot of questions. But reviewing the source and target system after the migration we have a 68GB of DB size on source and we have 55GB of DB size on the target. That is correct or maybe we lost information during the export/import with R3load ?

Thanks

Reynaldo Rebolledo

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

No data lost if the import was successfull.

The good thing is, that you got a reorganization of your data, it´s now lined up nicely in the blocks/pages on disk, no more fragmentation.

--

Markus

Answers (0)