Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Activation and release of DC Deletion causing DTR Conflicts

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Everyone,

I will be thankful if anyone can help.

We recently released a bunch of activities (for the first time in this track) and imported into CONS. Most of the activites were normal development work but a few activities were Deletion of DCs which got relased along with the rest. Import into CONS went through but with Integration Conflicts indications in the log. Assembly is failing because of the same (Integration Conflicts involving the deleted DC).

What would be the best way to resolve this? Conflits are in dev/active, cons/inactive and cons/active branches. Closed activity view is showing entries under dev/active branch as 'Closed Activity, intergated from another workspace'.

In the Integration Conflict view, the Resolve Conflict menu option has 'Merge', 'Accept Active' and 'Accept Colliding' options. Not sure which to select since conflicts are because of a deleted DC and does not exist anywhere in DTR.

Thanks very much.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Conflicts should be resolved at the earliest possible stage. Conflict resolution will create a new activity that can be transported just like any other activity and that way you can "deliver" the resolution to later stages.

"Merge" doesn't make much sense if one of the colliding activities is actually a deletion. "Accept active/colliding" depends on which activity was first integrated into the workspace (the deletion or some other modification) and which one you want to keep. The deleted "version" a file is just another version from DTRs point of view. A deleted DC (or rather the deleted files) still exist in DTR, but in a "deleted" state/version.

Regards,

Marc

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Marc,

Thank you for your response.

Something funny happened. I chose the option 'Accept Active' to resolve the conflicts and was prompted to create an activity. After resolving, I checked-in the activity but do not see it anywhere in the Activitaion View to activate it. It is showing up in the 'Closed Activity' view under the earliest stage or branch where it was resolved (dev/active in this case). What happened here? Did it get activated as well?

How does one proceed from here? Any clue?

Thanks very much.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Well, since "Activation" means that changes are integrated from inactive to active and you already did the modification in active there's nothing left to activate, so you should just release the activity and import it into cons then.

I'm a bit suprised though that the conflict first showed up in an active workspace, not in an inactive workspace. Was there some earlier integration directly into active bypassing inactive? Theoretically everything in active should also exist in inactive....

Regards,

Marc

Former Member
0 Kudos

I see...

No, I don't think so. It was all straightforward use of NWDI in the preliminary stage of track usage. The only thing that I can tell is that the deletion of the DC was done in two different activities. The deletion of the _comp folder (hierarchical deletion activity) was done first and the deletion of .dcdef from the SCs folder was done in another activity and activated at different times in respective order. They were released at the same time though.

Right now, the activity is not showing up in the transport view. It is showing up under the Closed Activity view only. The Intgration Conflict view is now showing conflicts in cons/active and cons/inactive branch only. Entries for dev/inactive are gone.

One more thing... the conflicts were resolved from the DTR perpective using another client (not the client that gets created with the import of the Development Configuration (sorry, don't know its techincal term). The context menu options for resoliving in this client were greyed out. I am not an expert user of NWDI so I am not quite clear on the difference between the two types of dtr clients.)

I had also tried using the dtrshell tool but got the error: "FAILED:Discard is not allowed becasue the workspace is not modifiable" - I suppose because I was trying to resolve it in the dev/active branch - which can't be done when using the dtr client

that gets created by importing the Development Configuration?? I don't know. I am not clear on how things work here..

Any ideas?

Thanks for you input.

Message was edited by:

rema

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Marc,

I am back with an update.

I was able to resolve this issue with a little help (thanks Jeff Gebo).

The natural progression was fairly simple.

Resolve the conflicts in cons/inactive and propagate up (activate and release) to cons/active.

Since cons is being directly manipulated the activity gets back-propagated to the development queue in an attempt to make the dev branch synced up with cons. Since we fixed the dev branch in the first place there was no need to import in development queue. So, we deleted that entry. Now the SCs are assembled. Whew!

All this noise beacuse we logically expected see an activity in the transport view for releasing and never saw it. It is either a mystery or it is the way it works.

Thanks for your help.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the feedback.

One advance warning: Since you now modified something in dev/active and also in cons, but did not do a backtransport you may get a conflict again in the future. Take care what get's transported.

"I am not an expert user of NWDI so I am not quite clear on the difference between the two types of dtr clients."

The main difference from the developers point of view: DTR clients use so-called "mount-points" to map local directories to remote directies. A configuration based client has individual mount points for each DC that is synched, a "generic" DTR client only has one mount-point for the whole server. This implies that with a "generic" DTR client you can see/manipulate everything, while with a configuration-based DTR client you can only see/manipulate what has been synched as a DC. That's also why you need a "generic" client to perform such delete operations.

And no, I'm not aware of official technical terms for those two types of DTR clients.

Regards,

Marc

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you

Answers (0)