Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Version

Former Member
0 Kudos

In enterprise, versions are split

BASIS is 620, Application is 470

Now with Netweaver, ECC, WAS, 7.0, 2004s, etc., my world is upside and I need to at least catch up to what is going on.

Do you guys know any forum thread, weblog, wiki that discusses this clearly, what these new terminologies are?

Thanks,

John (and ABAP old-timer)

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi John,

I know how you feel. I bet the nearest you can find is in Marketing Speak, which is a language no human can understand. I'll try my best and hopefully some smartypants will correct any mistakes.

Netweaver = BASIS + other junk. Things like the ability to serve web pages are now built in. Netweaver can have both or either ABAP or Java stacks. Pretty much all SAP products have Netweaver as their foundation.

2004s = BASIS version 7.0 (more commonly referred to as '700'). It went from 4.5 -> 4.6x -> 4.7 (which was Netweaver 2004 and BASIS 600) -> 2004s/700.

No idea what ECC stands for, but ECC 6.0 changed the way industry solutions were packaged. Previously you bought R/3 and tacked on the IS. Now with the ECC products, you buy R/3 and the installation has every IS under the sun included (how's that for efficiency in disk utilisation?!) and you activate any IS you actually need. So now a vanilla installation of SAP has about 70,000+ tables!!

WAS = Web Application Server, which is built-in now I think.

I wouldn't worry too much about knowing all the acronyms. I don't know them and it hasn't stopped me from doing my job and I've never met anyone who does. I'm yet to hear a description of Netweaver that doesn't cause my eyes to glaze over in confusion and walk away with no idea whatsoever of what I've just been told.

vincentlim826
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

ECC is stands for Enterprise Core Component. I also come across people use ECC for ERP Central Component, but both should mean the same.

Following is extracted fromone of the document

=====================

SAP ECC replaces SAP R/3

Enterprise as the core component of mySAP ERP and provides new and

improved functions. With SAP ECC, SAP has taken a more

development-oriented approach that focuses on usability, efficiency,

and a low TCO. As well as the tried-and-true concepts used in SAP R/3

Enterprise - which include separate technology layers, core functions,

and addition functions added since previous SAP R/3 releases - SAP ECC

gives companies the option of operating different mySAP ERP components

such as SAP BW and SAP SEM, in a single SAP installation.

Furthermore, SAP ECC provides new functions which, in conjunction with

SAP NetWeaver components like the portal, increase the usability of a

system. By and by, SAP ECC will be developed into a service-oriented

application based on SAP NetWeaver.

==========================

cheers,

Vincent