Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restoring from backup

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I would like to restore my database.

My system is R/3 4.6c on sql server 2000 , windows 2003 server.

What is the appropriate procedure? - system copy?

according to note - 44449 i had to back the SID database and the master+msdb databases.

so how do i restore these databases with the system copy procedure?

Regards,

Moshe

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Moshe,

<b>I would like to restore my database. What is the appropriate procedure? - system copy?[/</b>

Where do you want to restore it? to a new system? to an existing system??

<b>so how do i restore these databases with the system copy procedure?</b>

read the homogeneos system copy guide for your system version at http://service.sap.com/systemcopy

Regards

Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

let me rephrase the question.

I would like to check my backups in 2 restoration methods (for 2 scenarios).

1.If only my database is corrupted - the usr/sap/sid dirs are ok - i would like to know what is the procedure in this scenario?

2.both - the databse and the usr/sap/sid dirs are corrupted - i would like to know what is the procedure in this scenario?

Regards,

Moshe

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Moshe,

1. In this case a normal DB recovery using MSSQL Enterprise Manager will do, you need to recover your last backup and transaction logs... all depends on your Backup strategy

2. If theres no way to recover corrupted OS or SAP info from backup the best way will be to install a new system and attach the DB from a backup... you could also follow the Homogeneos System Copy procedure.

Regards

Juan

Please reward with points if helpful

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Juan,

Thanks for the answer but one more question - what about restoring the master and msdb databases - note 44449 is dealing with this issue - according to this note these databases must be backed up togather with the <SID> database.

when do i restore these databases?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Juan,

One more question:

you mentioned on phase 1 to recover the last backup and transaction logs - if my backup strategy is full daily backup - no transaction log backup is made - i need to restore only the last database backup - since there is not transaction log backup what do i need to do? - how to create new transaction log?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Moshe ,

Please check SAP Note 193816 - Restore with SQL Server .

Regards ,

Santosh Karadkar

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Moshe,

Full backup contains transaction logs... so no further actions needed...

Regards

Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Moshe ,

msdb databases contains information on scheduled activity like database backups so it is not mandatory to have this file with us while system copy .

Regards ,

Santosh

Former Member
0 Kudos

ok but if for example - tranaction log is located in drive e,and data files are located in drive F,and a full backup is made every day.now i need to restore from the backup - data files are restored to drive F,what about the t. logs in drive E - from do i restore them? the full backup doesn't backup the t. logs

Former Member
0 Kudos

what about restoring the master databse?when do i have to do it?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Full backup is set of Data as well as Transaction Log file .

Master database consist of all database users @ time of system copy SAPinst will update master database ( If required we can also add database user manully if required .

Regards ,

Santosh Karadkar

Former Member
0 Kudos

ok - i didn't understand something - do i need to restore the master databse or not ,

and if yes - when do i need to do it - before or after the SID databse restoration.

Former Member
0 Kudos

You didn`t require to restore master

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Moshe ,

<b>I would like to restore my database.</b>

You only require to restore MS SQL Backup -> No System copy require for activity .

If you want to make a copy of R/3 system then only you require Homogeneous system copy .

Please refer latest installation / system Copy giude on www://service.sap.com/instguide

Regards ,

Santosh