cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which is better File transfer or EDI transfer

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I have a scenario where the the vendor has tto send the post receivable data to our company. Now they say they can either provide us a file or EDI transfer. They have put the ball in our court to decide and tell them how they should be sending data to us.

Now we have to look into pros and cons of using file transfer or EDI.

COuld you please put some lght on which might be better and why?

XIer

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

In case of File transfer you will be required to schedule the program to read the files in order to process them & it will not be real time but if you go for EDI transfer, you can integrate the systems in real time & probably this would be a better approach.

Regards

Sushil

Former Member
0 Kudos

I both the cases it would be a scheduled job running just once everyday

XIer

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey

do u guys already have the infrastructure to handle EDI? i mean have u installed SeeBurger or some other tool to handle EDI messages? if not then for EDI you need to have some kind of tool until and unless you guys have some ways to handle EDI.

File is kinda simple ,you can simply get XML file via HTTP or the outside party can FTP it to certain location and you can pick it up from there.

if u already have SeeBurger or any other way to handle EDI then you can go for EDI,but File will be a lot simpler in mapping as well as design and configurations and you wont need any extra set up it

thanx

Aamir

Former Member
0 Kudos

Which option would be better in termsof performance, security an enhancements in the future?

Xier

Former Member
0 Kudos

Xler,

One small query before going ahead...How are you generating file? Is it EDI format (EDI Transaction) file ?

Nilesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey

see EDI specific tools are made solely for the purpose of handling EDI so they may give u better performance,but they are third party tools,you need to look at the tool and ask their vendors about the performance .

File is more generic and almost every company has some kind of File system,i would say in terms of future enhancements File adapter would be better coz its provided by SAP so you will get better support but for third party EDI tools you might wanna make sure from their vendors.

thanx

Aamir

Former Member
0 Kudos

Vendor says he can either produce a file or provide EDI format.The ball is in our court to decide what we want. SO what do you guys suggest??

XIer

Answers (0)