cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

web dynpro ABAP developments with ECC 5.0

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

As per my knowledge it is not possible to develop WD ABAP applications in ECC 5.0. It is only available from ECC 6.0.

But is there any possibility to develop WD ABAP application by installing another development server of ECC 6.0 and which is having RFC connection with ECC 5.0(Actual development server)

Our Environment Info:

ECC 5.0

NetWeaver 2004s

EP 7.0

Please suggest me any way to develop WDA with the above environment.

Thanks & Regards,

Kiran Chennapai

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

for Web Dynpro ABAP you need an NW 7.0 (NW 2004s) AS ABAP system. For more information on settings, see the <a href="http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/en/43/e86de5008b4d9ae10000000a155369/frameset.htm">documentation</a>

Regards, Heidi

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi!

You need an ABAP stack as of SAP WebAS 7.00 (with the latest SP level recommended). There you can develop your WDA application and access the business logic of any SAP system using RFC.

A little bit cumbersome and/or awful may be the fact that you miss a lot of dictionary and repository objects in such a naked WebAS 7.00 system to use in your WDA application. I see here at least two ways:

1. define the objects you need in your WDA system by hand ... ;-(

2. technically install an ECC600 system as your WDA system. Then you have access to the complete dictionary/repository objects of ECC600 which are not a complete other world than the world of ECC500. Customer-specific repository objects you may try to cross-transport from your ECC500 to your ECC600 system (CAUTION! First try it!).

The next cumbersome thing is that you have to encapsulate the business logic of your ECC500 system you want to access from your WDA system in RFC-enabled function modules following the BAPI transaction model. This may also be a lot of work, but unfortunately this is unavoidable work.

By the way: Transactional behaviour and consistency may also be an issue for you, unless you have only display WDA applications or such with very simple database update procedures. If you have complex applications you also have to ensure transactional consistency following the database update paradigm "all or nothing". Very ugly is a scenario where 2 database updates were successful and commited, but the other two ones failed .... You know what I mean?

The bad news is: maybe a lot of work.

The good news is: Nothing is impossible. It can work reliable, if you follow some rules and know something about RFC and database commits and LUWs and so on.

Hope this was more helpful than confusing you ... if the latter one comes true simply forget my reply ...

Regards,

Volker

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, Kiran,

We have a similar ladnscape in our company. We developed several WDA applications, by using BAPIs or RFCs. Our NW04s system is the development environment, and we have created "dummy" RFCs to exchange information between WDA and ECC 5.0 (and in some cases, even 4.6C).

Best regards,

Andre

<i>Please assign points accordingly if this answer is helpful.</i>