cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Relation between GL Account and Invoice?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

I am working with the FI reports for the first time and I do not have any idea on FI functional flow. I have some basic questions like

What is the Relation between GL Account and Invoice?

When will an Invoice be posted into BKPF, BSEG, BSAD, BSID, BSAK and BSIK? Is there any field in these tables which gives the Invoice number against which a GL Account is created?

For example if I want to calculate " no of vendor invoices without PO how can I do that"? How can I know what are vendor invoices created against a PO or without PO?

Thanks for any help in advance and I am bound to reward points.

Sri

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

No every Inovice has separte entry in all the table you take about. Because each invoice is a separate document number and this unique field in those tables.

So each invoice will have a record in those table.

Assign points if helpful

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sunil,

Thank you, ur answer solved my problem, I might be sounding very silly but is GL Account number same as Invoice Number?

Sri

Answers (7)

Answers (7)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am lucky to get answers from all three Top contributors of Fi.

Harish, Thanks for you too

Former Member
0 Kudos

GL account Number is not the same as Invoice number. Gl account is where when you post a vendor invoice it goes to. Where as the Invoice number is the actual document number for the bill that you recieved.

Assign points if helpful

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for all your replies

Hi Sridhar,

I want to award 10 points to you too, but system is not allowing me to assign 10 points to two. Thanks a lot for all your time and detailed explanation

regards,

Sri

Message was edited by:

Sri N

Former Member
0 Kudos

You can use the document types KR and RE those normally your document types. When sridhar takes about goods recieved not invoiced. There could be situation where a vendor may send you the goods but you havent recived the invoice from him so the item sits in inventory and in an account GR/IR-goods recieved invoice recieved. This hasnt it your vendor account yet.

Assign points if helpful

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sunil,

Thank you for the reply.

One final question for you all, does every invoice in R/3 has one seperate entry in BSEG, BSAK/BSIK tables or can muliple invoices be combined into one entry in BSEG, BSAK/BSIK?

I need clarifiction on this because I need to count no of vendor Invoices.

Sorry for any trouble and thanks for all ur replies,

Sri

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

GL Accounts are used to register the transaction. The transaction can get posted thru one or many T.Codes.

For example: Vendor Invoices. They are posted with reference to a Document Type eg. KR

Vendor related transactions are stored in BSIK and once the same is cleared / outnumbered they move too BSAK.

The vendor invoices if booked against the Purchase Order. then there is a field available which gives you the PO number. Hence by filtering the same you can find the answer.

Hope this is of some help, if yes, please assign points.

Regards,

Harish

former_member188826
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

<b>What is the Relation between GL Account and Invoice?</b>

SAP's Glossary for GL Account is

"A structure that records value movements in a company code and represents the G/L account items in a chart of accounts.

A G/L account has transaction figures that record changes to the account during a posting period. These figures are totals that are used for G/L reporting."

In accountancy, an account is a label used for recording and reporting a quantity of almost anything. For example when a company pays salary to its staff, They debit Salary account. This is to identify what is the nature of an expense.

An invoice is a message to the buyer of goods or services that contains, among other things, Name of the goods or services, Quantity sent, & Remuneration due.

Invoice is also a SD document used to charge a customer for a delivery of goods or for services rendered.

<b>When will an Invoice be posted into BKPF, BSEG, BSAD, BSID, BSAK and BSIK? Is there any field in these tables which gives the Invoice number against which a GL Account is created?</b>

If it were a vendor invoice. (i.e you purchase items or service and recieve invoice)

Invoice get posted to the tables once someone makes a Logistics Invoice verification through t-code MIRO etc. The teble RBKP gets the first posting.

If it were your own invoice to your customers, then VBAK and VBAP get the posting. The connectivity of tables are available in http://www.erpgenie.com/abap/tables.htm As far as SAP is concerned an invoice is a document, so you can only trace invoice as a document number, field name is usually BELNR. Even if a vendor invoice arrive, an internal invoice number is generated where the vendor invoice is entered only as a reference field. This is because, each vendor can have inovices of different size and pattern.

<b>How can I know what are vendor invoices created against a PO or without PO?</b>

For a purchase order you can find in table EKBE for BEWTP = Q any invoice document.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Thanks a lot for our time and detailed explaination.

So the Invoice will be posted into both GL account and corresponding GR and IR tables when an Invoice is created, Am I correct?

IS every invoice created in R/3 recorded in BSEG as one seperate GL account? Is one GL account in BSEG related to only one invoice?

My requirement is I have to count the number of vendor Invoices with a PO and no of vendor invoices without PO. I have the PO numbers populated in BSEG (Field EBELN), so I can use simple logic like if (EBELN <> SPACE invoice not against a PO, else created against PO). But if a single PO has multiple GR's and Invoices against it, How does it get populated in BSEG? If one PO has only one entry in BSEG, then my count of number of invoices will be wrong?

Will be waiting for your inputs and thank you,

Sri

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

As mentioned earlier, you can create a query on BSIK for open Invoices and on BSAK on cleared Invoices.

These 2 tables are subset of BSEG and have only vendor bookings.

Beside PO, you need to give the Document Type also as there can be other bookings which may not have PO as reference. Just check with the user as to which document type is used for booking vendor invoice. Usually it is KR

Irrespective of mulitple GR's, vendor line items reflect the Invoice. In one invoice, we can have single or multiple GR's for the PO.

Hope this is of some use, if yes, please assign points.

Regards,

Harish

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

I have one more question... when will a vendor be invoiced without a PO? Can anyone give me some examples?

Thanks,

Sri

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Harish,

Thank you for our quick response.

I am considering the document types KR and RE from BSIK and BSAK. The PO number fields in BSIK and BSAK are not getting populated, so i have to go to BSEG for PO numbers.

So does one PO have only one Invoice against it? If no, how will these two invoices for one PO be recorded into BSEG?

Sri

former_member188826
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Vendor's invoice only can be accounted, even without a PO. This can be accounted through FI transaction FB60. PO is not mandatory, to account a vendor invoice. The occassions that warrant these could be one off item, purchased from a vendor for some service or receipt of goods which are not inventorized.

former_member188826
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Document types play a major role. If you list all the vendors in line report FBL1N all document types in standard system of type RN belong to Vendor invoice with PO and all KN relate to vendor invoice without PO.

So you can get a quick first hand information by running FBL1N,limit the document types to RN and KN in the dynamic selection.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sridhar,

Awesome!!! Thanks for the input.

So can I use the following logic

No of Vendor Invoices with PO = (no of records in BSIK/BASK with doc type = RN)

No of Vendor Invoices without PO = (no of records in BSAK/BSIK with doc type = KN).

Can you please give me some more explaination on "receipt of goods which are not inventorized". I am very sorry,I did not understand what does it mean.

Thanks once again,

Sri

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sridhar,

I do not have any entries in table BSAK and BSIK for document type RN and KN, But there are entries for document types KR and RE. Can i use KR instead of KN and RE instead of RN for my calculations?

Thanks,

Sri

former_member188826
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

"Receipt of goods not inventorized". This is mentioned in the context as follows:

Ususally, in a manufacturing environment, when invoice arrive, they expect to check if goods have arrived before accounting invoice. Here they keep track of what goods arrive and keep a count of it.

But, in an administrative environment, suppose you call up a stationery shop to deliver two dozen reams of A4 sheets, and the vendor sends the requested materials, you may not want to keep track of such A4 stock. You may straight away account the vendor invoice and charge it to stationery account.

Little bit of accounting info, here: Financial Accounting always requires a double entry, journal: When goods are accounted and kept track, they debit goods account and credit, in SAP called GR/IR account (GR/IR stand for Goods Receipt/Invoice Receipt). Later when invoice arrive, they debit the GR/IR account and credit vendor. When goods are not inventorized, they debit an expense account, say stationery account and credit vendor account)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Invoices can be to Customers or it can be invoices from Vendors. What you are looking for is Vendor Invoices. When a Vendor invoice is posted it hits a GL Account for the amount payable to Vendor and to a Expenses account / GR/IR account.

When a manual Vendor invoice is posted it is impacted on an expense GL Account. If the document is posted through MM module, through integration with FI an accounting document is generated and this will hit a GL Account.

BKPF is a header table and all documents will hit this table. BSEG is a line item table. If you are looking for manual invoices, you can get it from BKPF based on document type and transaction code = FB60. But if other transaction codes are used this simple logic will not suffice.

In a complex scenario, you can select the document type from BKPF and check whether there is a corresponding MM document. This should help in identifying documents without PO.

Thanks

Murali.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Murali,

Thank you so much for the reply. I might be sounding very silly, but what is GL Account and what information does it contain in general?

I am not an FI consultant and I do not have any idea on FI. Can you please help me in understanding what is difference and relation between GL Account and Invoice?

Thanks,

Sri