cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MDM documentation

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Guys,

Could you please tell me where i can get documents on MDM.

Thank you,

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Vivek,

SAP Master Data Management (SAP MDM) enables master data on customers, partners and products to be consolidated and harmonized across the enterprise, making it available to all staff and business partners. A key component of SAP NetWeaver, SAP MDM ensures data integrity across all IT systems.

Other than that just type in SAP MDM in google and you will get all the links mentioned by other forum members.

Hope this helps you.

Do award points if you found them useful.

Regards,

Rakesh

P.S. you can send me a mail at my mail id rakeshsinghchauhan@gmail.com for any specific details

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Refer below links

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/webcontent/uuid/9019fdb1-570c-2a10-b1ab-dd58f...

What is SAP MDM?

SAP has a solid history of being forthcoming about product features and release dates –

unlike most American software firms. Originally focused on “product master data

management”, during 2003-04 SAP began to focus the marketing message for SAP MDM on

“customer data integration”. While SAP was unwavering in its message about enterprise master

data (product, supplier, customer, and employee), unfortunately there was slow user uptake in

applying SAP MDM for master customer data. Instead, early adopters of SAP MDM focused on

product and supplier master data. Through the initial several releases, SAP MDM continued to

show promise and vision – especially in the area of “global data synchronization”.

In July 2004, SAP acquired A2i which was an up and coming software vendor in product

information management (PIM). The public message at that time was that SAP would move

SAP MDM and A2i onto to a common software stack via SAP’s evolving NetWeaver capabilities –

and that we would see a blended/integrated product within 6 months due to the synergies built

into the SAP software stack. The CDI Institute’s view was that this was more likely an 18+ month

migration and during that time it would be prudent not to invest in SAP MDM for customer master

data initiatives until further notice, and that even product master data projects needed to wait for

SAP to deliver some proof points of the proposed newly integrated product. In fact, SAP MD was

never grafted onto A2i.

SAP’s CDI solution is descended from its product master and supplier master data integration

initiatives as joint development with some of its largest customers such as Nestlé and Shell.

Although SAP typically only sells outside of its manufacturing core markets in German-speaking

countries, during 2004 we had begun to see banks and insurance companies in North America

show interest in SAP’s MDM product plans due to tremendous respect for SAP’s vision and

engineering capabilities.

MDM was originally closely tied to SAP Business Information Warehouse (SAP BW) and was

initially marketed via what appeared to many observers as a classical data warehouse solution

(“global spend analysis”). The evolution of the initial SAP MDM product was vital to SAP to free

up numerous internal development teams to better interoperate via shared application data

models and process models. We believe SAP’s attention to thoroughness and rigor will

ultimately pay off in the longer term (and in fact are ahead of application package vendors

such as Oracle with their eBusiness suite which is still migrating to its common Trading

Community Architecture data and process models).

During 2004-05, MDM v3.0 was in ramp-up phase (“alpha/beta”), and therefore we believed that

due to SAP’s acquisition of A2i (xCat), there would be a major slowdown in taking MDM into

production (other than the 15-20 initial beta sites) while SAP grafted MDM’s capabilities onto

A2i’s higher performance technology stack. Again, SAP voted with its €’s to tackle product

information management challenges in enterprise resource planning (ERP) and supply chain

management (SCM), rather than master customer data as have Oracle and Siebel.

What is SAP MDME?

The A2i solutions known as xCat were rebranded as SAP MDME (Master Data Management

Extension) and recently upgraded via the “SAP MDME Feature Pack”, a release integrated

with SAP NetWeaver that included capabilities for rich content management, ability to manage

complex data with support for taxonomies, and hierarchies etc. MDME also included data

models that supported customer, product, employer and supplier – although we are only

aware of one business using even the preceding release of SAP MDM 3.0 for “customer” master

data. Like all contemporary SAP software, MDME employs the standard software distribution via

the SAP Exchange Infrastructure for interactive distribution.

The planned June 2005 release also includes former xCat 5.0 features (multi-lingual support,

syndication, …). MDME’s lean, R/3-iDoc-based model for supplier, customer, material, and

employee was both a strength in high-performance PIM applications but also a weaknesses in

classic CDI applications. In fact, its “ad-hoc consolidation and distribution into one or more

Support for single view of all major objects – customer, product, supplier and employee

(albeit lightweight customer and employee)

• Focused on interactive cleansing and distribution of Material, Supplier, Customer, and

Employee master data within (SAP R/3-based) ERP environment; note that several large

organizations are using it outside of a SAP ERP environment such as GE and

Rubbermaid

• Global metadata synchronization expertise

• Product information management focus

o Fully integrated electronic and print publishing

o High performance parametric search across rich content

• Hierarchical management

• Integration with SAP infrastructure

• 4th generation data hub features (image/content management of A2i)

• English, French and German initial support; Japanese 3Q2005

http://www.sap.com/france/services/education/e-learning/okp/pdf/OMD55S.pdf

Former Member
0 Kudos