cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FRONTEND UNAVAILABLE

Former Member

Hi

I have an strange problem in printing, I am using the Access Method "G" for the printing. users has no complain about the printing, they are printing fine but SP01 is always show the spool request in "WAITING" and "frontend unavailable".

Please advise us.

Regards

Anwer Waseem

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anwer,

Please check the Frontend Settings as: the name u have entered for ex.in the Tab of SAP router string : u have mean u server by name : xxprd01 or ip of the server ,once at the time SAPGUI configured with the server name.can u change the server name instead of giving the server ip: or ip instead of server name to solve this

1.the enduser machine is there any upgradation happened in OS

2.and also i want to know what is the Server OS ,DB?

3.SAPGUI version currently using?

4.SAPLPD is working?

regards,

S.Rajeshkumar

Reward points welcome!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Was able to solve the problem by including the following the parameter "rdisp/gui_from_spool" with the value 1 in the Instance Profile. rz10 does give an error on this parameter but go ahead and save & activate the profile. Frontend printing with Access method G works fine (without any errors or msgs.) after the restart.

Regards,

Rajesh R.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rajesh,

I faced the same issue as yours, but this profile doesn't exist in RZ10. I am working on 4.6C. Hope you can help

Regards,

Hesham

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I too am having this problem. Am able to print reports but not documents. When trying to print documents (invoice, delivery note, etc.), get the msg FRONTEND UNAVAILABLE. SAP support says import kernel 110; the latest kernel available for download is 102. Environment is Win 2003 server / ECC6 / MSSQL2000.

Regards,

Rajesh R.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Anwer,

it seems that you try to print the spool in background and that your printer is a frontend printer with the 'Host spool access method F: printing on Front End Computer' (in transaction SPAD).

This doesn't work as far as I know. You have to provide a printer with an other Host spool access method, e.g. C or S or U).

Printing on a frontend printer means that the SAP System can reach the Frontend (the PC), this is not guaranteed. Perhaps you turn off your PC and then the background job can't reach your frontend.

Thank you.

Regards,

Manomeet

• Award points if helpful **

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

The output device is wrong to run the trx in background, you can't use a device of front-end: it can't work in background.

You have to assign another printer, if the system get the printer from user default values, assign the correct printer there.

Regards,

Manomeet

• Award points if Helpful **

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Manomeet,

This concept that front end printer can be used for background is partially incorrect or shall I say partially correct. They can be used but automatic printing wont happen. You need to select the spool and then fire the print.

Also you have mentioned "<i>Printing on a frontend printer means that the SAP System can reach the Frontend (the PC), this is not guaranteed. Perhaps you turn off your PC and then the background job can't reach your frontend</i>.

"

Immediate printing ain't possible with front end printer. SAP wont do immediate printing even if you select that option.. You need to select the spool and the fire the print out. To do this of course your PC needs to be on and working.

Regards.

Ruchit.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Anwer,

I guess you must be selecting the option of immediate printing while printing on front end. That is why you are getting this error. Please note in front end printing spool needs to be selected and then printed. In case you remove the immediate printing option then you want get this error message of FRONTEND UNAVAILABLE

Regards.

Ruchit.

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Anwer,

I had this problem in the past... its weird that is actually printing tho.. basically Access method G is using windows spooler instead of SAPLDP and sometimes depending on the user rights to the pc they are printing from it finish in an error "frontend unavailable".... check if you get the same problem when printing from a pc where user logged on has admin rights...

I don't know if this help but it may put you in the right direction

Regards

Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi juan

Thanks for the prompt reply.

There is no security enable on the frondend, no firewall running, they are not complaining about the printing but here in SP01 lot of spool request with the "WARNING & frontend unavailable"

Did you remember the what you did or which port / what you enable in the security ?

Your prompt action and solution awareded by the points.

REgards

Anwer Waseem

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Anwer,

Can you be more specific about the details of the printer? are you printing via printserver? are you using method G to print to LOCAL?

regards

Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, I am using the Access Method "G" to print on the local computer.

I have an issue with the "Sales Order printing" , "Invoice Printing" and "delivery printing", rest are fine.

Regards

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Anwer,

have you check that settings of your printer are,

Device Type: SAPWIN

Device Class: Standard Printer

Host Spool Access Method: G: Frontend print with control technologie

Host Printer: __DEFAULT

If this doesn't help check Note 901244

regards