cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Logging of compile / runtime error messages

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

if there occurs any compile or runtime problem in a jsp-file I get only a Http500-error page, no further hints as to where exactly the problem occured, exception stack trace, javac output etc.

I knew from WAS 6.20 that these messages could be found in the general log file.

Now, I have already set quite a few of the standard logging categories and locations to debug level, but still no output. Where can I switch on this debug output information ?

It's really hard working without any detailed error messages. I tried this both in release 6.30 and 6.40.

Your help would be - as always - appreciated.

Astrid

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Astrid,

in the './log' directory of your server installation you should have a "defaultTrace.trc" file where all trace messages are written. There you should be able to find the error output.

Hope this will help.

Ivan

Benny
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

For your convenience there is also a complete log viewer there that can be run either from visual admin or as a standalone tool.

Please refer to manuals for further help.

Regards,

Benny

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm modifying the masthead-jsp. With EP6 SP2 it was easily possible to find the wrong statement. Now, with EP6 SP11 unfortunately I haven't been able to do so, so far. I can find the correct part in the log/trace-file, but it does not help me to find the wrong statement:

[EXCEPTION]

#1#com.sapportals.portal.prt.component.PortalComponentException: Error in service call of Resource

Component : pcd:portal_content/ch.cc.ega.design/com.sap.portal.frameworkpage/ch.cc.ega.masthead

Component class : com.sapportals.portal.navigation.HeaderiView

User : CCC_SCHF

at com.sapportals.portal.prt.core.PortalRequestManager.handlePortalComponentException(PortalRequestManager.java:969)

at com.sapportals.portal.prt.core.PortalRequestManager.dispatchRequest(PortalRequestManager.java:444)

at com.sapportals.portal.prt.core.PortalRequestManager.dispatchRequest(PortalRequestManager.java:527)

at com.sapportals.portal.prt.component.AbstractComponentResponse.include(AbstractComponentResponse.java:89)

at com.sapportals.portal.prt.component.PortalComponentResponse.include(PortalComponentResponse.java:232)

at com.sapportals.portal.navigation.HeaderiView.doContent(HeaderiView.java:63)

at com.sapportals.portal.prt.component.AbstractPortalComponent.serviceDeprecated(AbstractPortalComponent.java:209)

...CompilingException: Error occurs during the rendering of the jsp component

-> the portal generates the .java-file in the work folder, but then cannot compile it.

How can I get to the wrong statement in the JSP-Page?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I've found two ways for finding some better log with compile errors in a jsp-page.

1) when testing the application in an iView, view the source-code of the error-page and there will be some details somwhere in the stacktrace (unfortunately the stylesheet sets this tag to invisible):

Caused by: com.sapportals.portal.prt.servlets_jsp.server.compiler.CompilingException: D:/usr/sap/IEP/JC01/j2ee/cluster/server0/apps/sap.com/irj/servlet_jsp/irj/root/web-inf/portal/portalapps/ch.admin.portal.navigation.masthead/work/jsp/_sapportalsjsp_headeriview.java:598: isAnonymous is already defined in subDoContent(com.sapportals.portal.prt.component.IPortalComponentRequest,com.sapportals.portal.prt.component.IPortalComponentResponse,javax.servlet.jsp.PageContext,com.sapportals.portal.prt.servlets_jsp.server.jsp.response.JSPResponse,java.util.Vector)

boolean isAnonymous = false;

2) use the exception-id from the error-page to search the logfiles. this brings you to the stacktrace, but thisone does not contain helpful information. look above it for statements like:

Caused by: com.sapportals.portal.prt.servlets_jsp.server.compiler.CompilingException:

There will be the same text as in the source of the error-page.