cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with B1DE Installer while Installing / Unlinstalling Addon

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Everybody

We have created EXE/ARD using B1DE 2005. It behaves strange in different installations. In some SBO 2005 A (Server) its installs smoothly without any error. Sometimes it throws error.

<b>Index out of range exception</b> and installations stops and

1. Now it becomes a pain to install/uninstall the EXE/ARD unless you remove manually from the registry, entries from the add-on directory, from AddOnsInstall.sbo / AddOnsLocalRegistration.sbo. its throws (-2) Error from EndInstallEx, EndUninstall

Next problem.

2. Suppose i have installed exe/ard version 8 in both server and client. Now i want to upgrade the exe/ard to version 9. In server it works fine uninstalling the version 8 and installing version 9. But in client the exe/ard does not sense there is a version 8 installed on it. it goes on to install version 9. For removing version 8 we have to go through the same process, remove entries from the registry..ect.

Any idea what is wrong.

Thanks in advance.

Asutosh

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Trinidad
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Asutosh,

Do you know the difference between the machines where the installation behavior is not the same? You can add into the code of the installer some lines in order to trace the line where the "Index out of range exception" happens. If you find out please let me know and we can try to fix it for next version.

Are you using the Restart needed option?

The second problem you are having is independent of the use of B1DE and I don't know the reason. I have just tested in my machine and it works fine, it detects that the same addon is already installed with an older version and proceeds to an upgrade.

In the case of the simple installer the new exe replaces the old one.

In the case of the proffessional installer you have to change the version of the Setup .NET project for Windows to detect it is an upgrade.

But in both cases B1 detects it is an upgrade and shows a message saying that it is an upgrade before launching the installation, which B1 version are you working with?

I have done the tests with B1 2005 SP01 PL27.

Regards

Trinidad.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Trinidad

Thanks for the response.

The machine having OS - Windows Server 2003 where Installation behavior is not same. I mean in XP it is working fine. Yes we are using Restart needed option. SBO is B1 2005A PL 16.

One thing we want to suggest, irrespective of Installation failure, <b>the Uninstallation must work. At least it should remove entries from Registry</b>, .SBO file entries, Common database entries..,

On second problem. We had increased the version as you have pointed out in the Setup Project. the SBO is B1 <b>2005 B</b> PL 8 and problem comes when we are installing EXE/ARD at Client end.

Also we are having a Crystal Report Directory, having crystal report files in the Add-on. In the Server the EXE/ARD creating a Report directory and placing all the crystal report (.rpt) files, but at the client end, its not creating the directory or placing files inside the directory. We need to manually copy all the cryal reports files to the Client machine directory in order the Reports to be run. The EXE/ARD should automatically copy these files from Server to Client.

Regards

Asutosh

Trinidad
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Asutosh,

Did you solved the problems with the installer?

What was the problem?

I'm really interested in understand how you solved the problem.

In an old message someone told that the Restartneeded option was giving him problems, but I didn't knew why. If you can debug it I will like to know the reason.

Thanks

Trinidad.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Trinidad,

We have installed B1 DE in various PC's but among them from a specific PC, when we create installer, its working perfectly. We are unable to figure out why from the same machine the installer (ARD/EXE) created are working fine. May be because of B1 DE installalation in that machine is perfect.

Anyway thats solved our problem.

Thanks

Asutosh