cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BCS 6.0 load from datastream

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello everyone,

We have loaded master data (cons group and cons units) from our 4.6C system into our BCS 6.0 system. We now want to "sync" this master data that exists now in "BW" to BCS.

We are loading via datastream. It appears we have set everything up correctly. When executing the method we created, for example cons unit, it gives us only warnings that each cons unit will be overwritten. This makes sense being that we already executed this before and have chosen overwrite in the method. The problem is...where is it? When we are in the BCS workbench and goto Master Data -> Consolidation Unit -> Consolidation Unit...it's not there.

It looks like we are missing some simple step. Can someone please advise.

Thanks in advance.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi MC,

There is my blog

/people/sap.user72/blog/2006/07/21/how-to-upload-hierarchy-and-master-data-of-fs-items-in-sap-sem-bcs-40-by-using-flexible-upload-method

dedicated to master data flexible upload in SEM-BCS 4.0. You may use it as an educating point. Though, in 6.0 it's somewhat different and simple.

You may use downloaded hierarchy from the R/3 system. However, the format of hierarchy upload to BCS is flexible and different, you'll have to do some manual formatting work.

Hope this helps.

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

MC,

I hate to load master data from datastream. What I prefer is to do it through flexible upload.

It's the proved and reliable method.

The main reason - you probably already know that the same infoobject in BW and in SEM-BCS may have different number of attributes (more in the latter).

The load from datastream suggests that first you load data to BW (where the number of attributes is fewer) and then read them to BCS. As consequence, you load only those attributes that exist in BW. All the rest you have to load by other means, or simply manually.

With flexible upload you load all attributes needed, and even hierarchies. Syncronization goes from BCS to BW automatically.

Hope this helps.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm begining to see your point...I see no reason why it is not working (only for hierarchies). Everything seems to be setup correctly.

Have not even looked into flex uploade. Is there a How to document somewhere?

Do you have to download the hierarchies to a flat file (from our 4.6c system) and then upload via flex upload in BCS?

Thanks again, then I'll close this message out.

Former Member
0 Kudos

In many cases, in order to see changes in SEM-BCS you have to sign off the BCS and in again.

I simply execute /nUCWB t-code from the command prompt in workbench.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Eugene,

I already did that...still cannot see anything??? I'm stuck...

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Some clarification...

When I double click on master data for consolidation unit there is a default "area" of hierarchies. This is where I do not see anything. If I perform a List Settings and then a dropdown (F4) on consolidation unit, I can see my consolidation units.

So in my method I deselected master data and only left hierarchies selected. When executing my method it states 'No data has been read from the source data stream"

I have 1 hierarchy that exists for consolidation unit (I have more to bring in, but for now only have one to get the datastream understood).

Why doesn't it "bring over" the hierarchy to SEM? I can see it in "BW" via RSD1 -> Hierarchy tab -> Maintain Hierarchies...

The hierarchy valid to date is February of last year...is there anything time specific it looks at during the data stream that I have to state load from this date to this date? I tried the selection tab for a specific hierarchy, yet it still selects nothing.

Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I see a 'Selection condition Source' button in the same screen where it displays it could not find any data to read...this states 1/2007...the one hierarchy I have is valid until 2/2006. I'm assuming this is the cause of the problem. This field is a from - to.

I changed the global parm to be 2/2006..this changed the selection condition, but still didn't select the hierarchy.

Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi MC,

I think everything is OK with your Source Basis.

First of all, look very carefully at the jornal of the method execution.

But I'm afraid, that you are absolutely right about missing the last and very simple step.

After executing method in workbench, examining the log, go by the green arrow back and SAVE!

Only after that the changes that the method execution brought should be in effect!

Hope this help.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Eugene,

I'm sure that was it...for some reason I only saw warnings (then I was clicking the Yellow/Exit button) until I pressed the Green/Back button. I then saw errors appear at the bottom of the screen for 2 characteristics. I have resolved one, but the other makes no sense to me.

1st error:

It complained that there was no corresponding Source System ID master Data. We have source system compounded on our infoobjects here. Source System ID exists in "BW". I went to Custom Attributes under Master Data and performed a right click on source system id -> Create and created the source system id master data.

2nd error:

It complained that there was no corresponding Country (US in our case) master data. So I did the same as above for source system (because it existed on the "BW" side already) and when performing a right click to create the US country master data it only brought up 'Hierarchy'...so essentially created a US country hierarchy.

Now executing the method again it only gives an error still for the 2nd error (US) missing. I believe because it's a "Hierarchy" and not an attribute. But the system gave me no option to create a US attribute, only hierarchy.

Can you help on this?

Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Eugene,

I got past the US does not exist error (not sure if I put a bandaid on the problem or actually did the proper thing).

When double clicking on Country (from under the master data folder in the consolidation workbench) I stated above the hierarchy defaulted. That is correct, but under the hierarchy "area" was another "area" of "Nodes not connected". I created US there and then got past the 1st error mentioned above.

Now, I received all warnings that the data is going to be overwritten, clicked the green arrow/back button and then save. System stated "changes were saved".

Now, when I expand the Master Data folder within the consolidation workbench, then expand Consolidation Units (the master data I just loaded) folder and then double click on Consolidation Unit...I do not see my newly "loaded" consolidation units.

What am I missing?

Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please more details of how you determined source database for reading from datastream.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Eugene,

I saw your name for many postings and was hoping you would see this.

My Source Databasis has the following config:

1. Field Catalog Tab

It has the Char and FK Catalogs defined. That's it in this tab. No InfoProvider because I'm not pulling from any InfoProvider (just cons unit, group and item and these char's exist in the catalog defined)

2. The last 3 tabs I defined nothing (in Attributes, Auth Check and Column Heading). I made no selection of 'Selection Attribute'. Perhaps I should, not sure. Reading the help it looked like all I had to do was basically define the IO Catalogs that my char's exist in. Meaning it just validates the IO exists in the catalog defined.

What's strange is that when I execute the Method it gives me a warning stating the object exists (from previous executions), but I can't see it anywhere. Then when I change the method to 'Delete All', I get a warning that it's going to delete all. Fine, but same problem. It doesn't delete anything. I say this because I'll then execute again (after chaning method again to Overwrite) and it informs me it already exists. So the deletion did nothing. It's as if I'm missing that last step after the right click execution from the method.

Thanks again.