Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dynamically change the type of a field

barca23
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello,

After finishing reading the adobe documentation and looking at almost all the samples in the Adobe website, i still have no clues how to do the dynamic type changing in the E-Forms.

Do you think it's possible to change dynamically the type of a field at runtime or during the generation of the pdf?

Example:

i send a table to the PDF with the following information:

Table X line 1 column1 --> textfield type

Table X line 2 column1 --> Numeric field type

The result must be the generation of the table X with at the first line a text field and at the second line a Numeric. Of course those field will be editable.

Possible ?? or not?

Thx for your help,

Pelaez Lopez Philippe

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

OttoGold
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Let me guess, you would like to work with Adobe as you would work with WD. You cannot generate forms from scratch. And that is equal to create a single field, than dynamically duplicate it, distribute it all around the paper and change the types to the right ones. This is not possible. You can only create a superbig form and use hiding.

If you would like to see a super-big-crazy example, check form MEDRUCK delivered by SAP. This form is superbig, but your output can contain only few fields according to the print type you need.

If you form is that complicated you cannot build it this way, then the requirement is probably not structured and goes against the meain stream (which needs the structure:))

Otto

Former Member
0 Kudos

Unfortunately, I don't see MEDRUCK in SFP.

Anyway, I don't see what is so complicated in my form requirement. It is just a list of field to fill. the number of rows is dynamic, which is classical in adobe forms, and everything is working fine except that point.

But I will look at the possibility of hiding, thank you.

OttoGold
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

I didn´t get the business need which leads to this requirement. Why would one change a field type?

There are workarounds for every situation I can imagine. If you need to change field format, you can write a script to format your value any way you need to (example). Can anybody provide a reasonable reason to do this?

You can always create two fields of two types and fill them both and hide one etc.

Have a nice day, Otto

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Otto,

I need to display a list of characteristics that will be filled by the end user.

These characteristics can be text, date, numeric, etc... and dropdown list of values. When I am building the form, I don't know which kind of value it will be, this is why I need to determine it when the form is created.

In my case, the main issue is that the modifiable value is a dropdown list, even though it is just a text.

barca23
Explorer
0 Kudos

I answer my question myself.

At this moment,It is not possible to change dynamically the type of a field at runtime.

Pelaez Lopez Philippe

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

My question is : is it still not possible ?