cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

posting material master into MDM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Guys ,

If I need to get the material master data from an R3 system into the standard material repository in MDM , what do you think is the best strategy or what is the common strategy which is follwed in this scenario . How do we export the data from R3 and what is the format MDM would be expecting to load the data .

Would appreciate some help !

Regards

Deepak Singh

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

MichalKrawczyk
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Deepak,

>>>>How do we export the data from R3

you can export it via IDOC - standard master data distribution

for standard repository you can use format in which XI can export it:

MDM 5.5 SP05 - Business Content: Material (ZIP File)

https://websmp106.sap-ag.de/installmdm

for handling IDOCs with XI you can have a look at:

<a href="/people/michal.krawczyk2/blog/2006/10/11/xi-new-book-mastering-idoc-business-scenarios-with-sap-xi"><b>Mastering IDoc Business Scenarios with SAP XI</b></a>

for step by step configuration

Regards,

michal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks guys for replying . what more I wish to understand is what format would MDM be expecting usually during the load of the data in this kind of a scenario . Is it the XML file that would be fed to MDM to load us or is there any other format .

Also if we need to populate the MDM material repository , do we need to make a data file (XML file for eg ) for all the lookup tables and the main table (products) in the repository seperately , and then import the data using the import maps provided in the business content ? What would be most commonly followed procedure ?

Regards

Deepak Singh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Deepak ,

Pls go through the IT Scenario config guide available at the following link:

https://websmp204.sap-ag.de/nw04operation

This will help clarify the entire scenario.

Regards,

Anita

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi deepak,

1. xml format would be prefferable and will be easy to generate from XI.

2. Standard Import Maps are available for Material master

3. You can create a custom map in such a way that you populate the Lookup tables and the main table in one shot for flat, hierarchy and taxonomy. Pl find if u can do it with Qualified Tables also.

Get Back to help,

Vijay

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

I checked the configuration guide and it talks about the generic extractor setup or configuring the ERP/XI/MDM systems and work it out . Now let's say for certain reasons we cannot get the XI in between or we don't have the MDM and ERP system in the same landscape and we cannot take the advantage of the generic extractor setup but still we want to populate the material repository in MDM with the data that exists in material master in the ERP system , how could we do that ? Is there a way to extract the data in a file from R3 and then manually feed this file as a source to the import manager to import the data manually ? If yes then how do we extract and how do we figure out what to extract ?

Basically it is a POC which is targetted and we don't have all the systems in the landscape yet at the client site . The systems we have are not in the same geography and that have not been setup to talk to each other .

Regards

Deepak Singh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I think in ur scenario u dont want to use XI in between ur R/3 and MDM system . ryt?

Its possible to connect ur R/3 system to MDM without XI in between , this is point to point coonection.

In ur case lets assume u have created/configure ur repository in MDM according to requirments of Material master. After doing that you can extract ur data from R/3 and can manually u can import thru import manager manually.

Extract material master data fom R/3 in XML format with the help of an ABAP'er.

then try to upload it manually thru import manager.

steps....first place that Extract data in to local machine from where u want to uopload

2) open Import manger GUI select port- and then select source format(XML or excel..etc)

3) Then select those files for upload

4) For main product table data select PRODUCT table in destination item.

and map all those feids require and start upload and after that save map

5) For data in lookup tabel or qualified table u can upload data by making separate maps. eg for Location data qualified table if u want, u can upload plant data manually.

in this case also u have to repaet steps ,, extract data in excel format and select Loction data table instead of main product table in destination item.

map >upload and save map..

thanks

Himanshu

Mark points for helpful answer

Former Member
0 Kudos

Himanshu ,

I know how to work with the SAP MDM tool with all it's clients .Where I would want you to elaborate on is " In ur case lets assume u have created/configure ur repository in MDM according to requirments of Material master."

Is the standard repository for material capable to just use the import maps provided by SAP with the MDM software , and import the data into it , or there is a change required in the repository structure ?

What would be extracted from the R3 system to populate the material repository ?

How do we extract it ? Is there a program which extracts the data required to populate the material repository ? if not what is the strategy there ? Baisically how do we decide on the data part as to what is to extracted and how this is to be done so that the extracted file can be directly fed to MDM import manager , use the import maps provided in the business content for the repository, and import the data in ?

Regards

Deepak Singh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Vijay ,

Could you please thorw more light on the third point you talked about . How do we do that ? Could you pls point me to a document which talks about the same ?

Regards

Deepak Singh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi deepak,

<u>For updating look up fields and Main table fields parallely</u>

Its not possible to import entries into two tables parallely. But you can update the display field of any table.

you can update all the display field of a look uptable.

Eg. Manufacturer Hierarchy is a lookup hierarchy table and Manufacturer name is a display field.

Now you have a xl or xml format file which contains the manaufacturer name in evrey record.

In the value mapping tab all the Manufacturer name will be displayed and you can map them or add them as you do in a hierarchy table or a flat table.

Refer this Import manager overview page 46 Value mapping <a href="https://www.sdn.sap.comhttp://www.sdn.sap.comhttp://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/86adb93a-0401-0010-989e-e088c91e2d80">Import Manager Overview</a>

Hope this helps,

Reagrds,

Vijay

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Vijay .. will try !

I am keeping the thread still open as I am not done yet with the task .

Regards

Deepak Singh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Deepak,

I f you do not want to use the generic extractor , you could still download all reference data from your R/3 system using the programs given in note # 830864. You could then load the reference data in to MDM using the lookup maps given in the business content.

Regards,

Anita

michael_theis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Note 830864 is not valid/usable for MDM releases higher than SP4!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Vijay/Guys ,

I have the data from an R3 system as XML files . I am importing the same manually through import manager . I open the import manager and choose the type as XML and point it to the XML file . When the import manager get's opened I can see the following tables

- ARTMAS03

- E1BPE1MEANRT

- E1BPE1MVKERT

- E1BPE1MVKERTX

- EDI_DS40

Now I understand that there are standard import maps available in the business content to import data from an R3 system . I see the import maps and I can see the following maps

- 00_MATMAS03_R3

- 00_MATMAS04_R3

- 00_MATMAS05_R3

- seperate import maps for all the lookup tables

Now I am assumimng that there has to be a standard which is followed here and the import would be as simple as selecting a map provided for the material repository , opening it in import manager which would do the mapping and then if required I would do the value mapping , finally importing it into the repository .

I imported the map 00_MATMAS03_R3 and then when I tried to open the map , I get a message " the map cannot be loaded because table E1MARAM is not the source "

Now please let me know where do I deviate from what usually happens in such a scenario.What would usually one do to import data manually ?

Regards

Deepak Singh

michael_theis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Deepak,

you're trying to load an ARTMAS IDoc into a repository that was build for MATMAS IDocs. This cannot work at all with the delivered standard maps! The <b>Material</b> repository is useable for MATMAS IDocs only. That's why it contains Import Maps for the MATAS IDoc type. The ARTMAS IDoc is related to the <b>Retail Article</b>, which is an object that differs from the <b>Material</b>. SAP offers an additional repository for the article. Please check this repository! It'll fit to your IDoc.

BR Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Guess you are right Michael . I think the R3 guy who has given me the XML needs to get an extract from Material master and not the article master . I will try to get the right one and try it again .In the meanwhile I am keeping the thread open for further issues .

Points awarded though for this tip. Thanks !

Regards

Deepak Singh

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Deepak,

just Go to this link:- /people/balas.gorla/blog/2007/02/05/r3-xi-mdm-outbound-scenario

i think it will be quite useful fir u.

Regards,

Mandeep Saini

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Deepak,

The optimum strategy would be to connect R/3 and MDM using XI , this is an option SAP recommends and for which a lot of material is availble here in the SMP.

This option also ensures that your R/3 and the MDM remain connected and communicate continuously.On the other hand any other integrator could also be used for this scenario.

However, the best way to decide on a strategy would be to take in to account what is to be done in MDM with the master, and then arrive at a decision on the best way to go forward.

Hope this clarifies your query ,

Regards,

Anita