cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

use of MaxDB on Solaris 10

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

For many years i use SapDB with Linux, this month i migrate to MaxDB 7.6.2.10 running on Linux x86_64, because of new features on Solaris 10 i like to migrate the O.S. too, then i want to know if anyone wish to share with us the experiences, troubles or tips of running MaxDB with Solaris 10 in an AMD64 server?

thanks

Clóvis

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

roland_mallmann
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Clovis,

currently there are <b>no</b> plans to release MaxDB versions through SDN for operating systems other than Linux and Windows.

Kind regards,

Roland

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Roland,

since i'm not a SAP customer just one user of MaxDB i can stay using the Linux versions deployed in SDN without worry about sometime in future these versions will be placed only for SAP customers too?

best regards,

Clóvis

roland_mallmann
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Clóvis,

we will keep publishing new MaxDB versions for Linux and Windows through SDN.

Regards,

Roland

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

We run some instances on Solaris 10 on x86_64 with ZFS as filesystem and Solaris Zones as virtualization layer - works like a charm.

--

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Markus,

These instances are running installed with Solaris in virtualization layer or you used Linux or anything? from what place you get the MaxDB for Solaris 10? because i cant locate that on Downloads/Technologies in the SDN downloads.

Best regards

Clóvis

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I don´t get your question...

Solaris has it´s own virtualization layer called "Zones" or "Containers" - see here:

http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/817-1592

We also use LInux but at the time of deciding, which way to go, XEN was not supported officially.

I got the software from the service marketplace since we´re a SAP customer.

--

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Clovis,

the SDN downloads area contains MAXDB for only Windows and Linux.

For MAXDB on Solaris, you need to access the SAP service marketplace, which is limited to our customers.

Regards,

Ashwath

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ashwath,

I'm not a sap customer, just a MaxDB user, then i cant use the MaxDB for Solaris? what is the reason for the mySql site have the version 7.6.00.37 and the SDN have the version 7.6.2.10? in mySQL have the installation for Solaris but with the version 7.6.00.37, exists any chance to SAP publish in SDN their version for Solaris?

best regards.

Clóvis

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I never really got the reason about that.

Version 7.5 had a cvs repository (there was a p4-to-cvs gateway doing that) so you could get the actual sources. The same has been true for 7.6 but at some point, SAP/MySQL/whoever changed the license (politics) and from this point on no actual sources for 7.6 were available through cvs.

I think that change in the licensing model was the reason for MySQL not having actual sources (and binaries to some extent) for 7.6 and beyond (but still has for 7.5).

--

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

With that dont exists the chance for me to configure the version 7.6.2.10 on Solaris, i can only use the versions for Linux and Windows from SDN, or exists a way to achieve a customer account only to MaxDB for Solaris?

best regards

Clóvis

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The difference between 7.6.0.37 and the 7.6.2.16 are not that big from a functionality point of view; there are some special features for OLAP applications and other small things so if you want to test, you can with 7.6.0.37 without problems.

I don´t think there´s a way to get an account just for the MaxDB database... (I´m not SAP employee so I don´t know if that´s possible).

--

Markus