cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archive and Delete - free disk space

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Everybody!

I configured Archiving and Delete of messages! After Archiving and Delete Job execution, messages were successfully archived and deleted (they are not in SXMB_MONI anymore), but free disk space did not increase!

My database administrator asked me about shrink XI database. After apply a Oracle patch we started shrink, but it did not work at all, since QIN Scheduler goes to WAIT status everytime we start shrink!

Any ideas?

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Julio,

To be able to see the increase in free disk space after archiving you will need to database reorganization. Ask your database admin to do a reorg.

Cheers,

Samanjay

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Peform Reorganization of XML Message tables..(Applicable for Oracle only). On MSSQL Re-org not required.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi guys! That is the point! I asked my database admin to do a reorganization, but he told me segment shrinking should be faster! We ran segment shrink on many tables, and we could free some disk space, but we were not able to shrink table SXMSCLUP, because it causes QIN Scheduler to be in a WAINTING status.

Any ideas? What could we use instead of segment shrink?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

SXMSCLUP is a cluster table and contains a LONG RAW field(CLUSTD). It is not possible to shrink tables that contain LONG and LONG RAW fields. Refer SAP note #910389 for faq's on segment shrinking.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Samanjay

Former Member
0 Kudos

Samanjay, instead of shrink, what could I do? Since I deleted the messages (with delete job), and free disk space did not increase, I dont know what to do.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Julio,

By archiving and deleting messages you would have freed space and this space will be utilized for data created in the future. Basically unless you do a db reorg you will not be able to see the freed space. If your concern is about space being not freed due to archiving then you need not worry. Space is freed by archiving but you cannot see the same unless you do a db/tablespace/table reorg or shrink. But if you want to see the free space increase then the only option is to do a db/tablespace/table reorg. If you think you will be creating large number of messages in the future then you need not do a db reorg

Hope this helps

Cheers,

Samanjay