cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventory management - Moving to SAP WM - Next Steps

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All WM experts,

Currently we have our Stock managed via inventory mangement(SAP IM module - Storage location level).

We are planning to implement SAP WM ( SAP Warehouse Management Module )very soon.

What are the next steps in terms of transferring the stock from Storage location level to Storage bin level?

Please advise.

Meghna

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi there,

You have to maintain storage types, Storage sections,Storage bins ,Storage Units (Optional ) after creating the Warehouse and assigning it to the plant & Storage location, IE you have to create a Warehouse structure and decide upon strategies for putaway & Removals.

Your question is not that simple to answer.

But depending upon the Business procsesses involved You have to finalise the Bin types,Storage types,Strategies,Bin structure etc.

The sap.help.com could be a useful link for all further details pl.

Thanks & Regards,

Nagarajan

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I think you should really evaluate your need for WM. There are some really creative things you can do in IM to sustain a fairly large inventory level.

WM is a great tool for large storage locations with lots of movment in them, but it can be cumbersome and difficult to manage if you hold a lot of serialized pc's. Physical Inventory in WM, if you have serialized pc's, is going to be extreamly difficult w/ out some custom development. I'm sure there is more but you get the drift.

Just make sure your inventory needs are large enough to require WM over IM.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Nagarajan for your reply.

My question is not related to warehouse structure or how to configure WM module.

My question is what needs to be done to see the inventory at storage location level transferred to the Storage Bin level once SAP WM is implemented ?

Meghna.

Former Member
0 Kudos

You can have a look at the online help : <a href="http://help.sap.com/saphelp_47x200/helpdata/en/d4/aaabc3aeda11d18fe3080009aa01d1/frameset.htm">http://help.sap.com/saphelp_47x200/helpdata/en/d4/aaabc3aeda11d18fe3080009aa01d1/frameset.htm</a>

I think you are in case 2

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Phillippe.

This is exactly what I was looking for.

Could you please explain me this from the SAP help ?

"Transfer post the stocks that the WM system should manage, from the previous MM storage location to the new MM storage location" .

To do this what exactly needs to be done?

Kindly advise.

Meghna

Former Member
0 Kudos

Meghna,

Basically, what this is telling you is that you need to move out your stocks from the existing storage location to your new storage location. This is done using movement type 311 (one step sloc to sloc transfer). For a large volume of material stocks, you should consider using LSMW with the standard goods movement object (Object 0110 in this case).

Hope this helps.

H Narayan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Meghna,

Just to add to my earlier response.

I would suggest you to go through the following posts to get a better understanding of what is involved in the process.

[Removed by the moderator.]

Hope this helps.

H Narayan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks It helps.

Meghna