cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DP locking

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Gurus,

I was going through the document on DP Locking concept and I could not get a clear picture on 'Aggregated lock method'. Could some please explain me the below description and the example:

Aggregated Lock

Using this locking method, the system can only create an entry in the lock table for one unique single value per characteristic. All other types of selection for a characteristic cause the system to lock all values of the characteristic. These include the following selections:

&#9679; Intervals (entries with <, >, £, ³ are also intervals), for example, products 1 to 100.

&#9679; Multiple single values, for example, location = DERBY, PHILADELPHIA and SINGAPORE.

&#9679; Exclusive selections (single values and intervals), for example, customer ¹ SMITH

Example

Characteristic: A

Existing selection (user X): = 01

Desired Selection (user Y) : = 02 AND 03 AND 04

Aggregated lock: user Y cannot work with this selection since multiple single values have been specified for characteristic A. The system now attempts to lock all values for characteristic A. This is not possible since user X is already working with the data of characteristic value 01

Detailed lock and liveCache lock: user Y can work with this selection since these locking methods take multiple single values into account and the specified characteristic values do not include value 01 that was locked by user X.

Thanks in advance

Regards

SB

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

As you know DP works by Characterisitic Value Combinations

to explain the example, lets assume the two characterisitcs result in the following CVCs

A - 01

A - 02

A - 03

A - 04

Assume there are other combinations as well say B-02, B-03, C-04 etc

in aggregated locking if someone is on A - 01 it locks all the 4 combinations

so someone trying to get into A03 or A04 is lockedout since A as a whole is locked

They maybe able to get into B02 or B03 though

in detailed locking if someone is locking A02 another user can still change A01, A03 or B03

Former Member
0 Kudos

Harish,

That is a good explanation. Could you please tell me where I can make this setting? In the DP planning area I could only see the other two locking methods but not this aggregated locking.

Thanks in advance

Sai

Former Member
0 Kudos

oh , thats because if you dont check the Detailed Lock option it is automatically Aggregated Lock. So if you want Aggregated locking, uncheck Detailed locking

Historically versions before 4.x did not have this detailed locking logic and this tab was not there either in PA Admin

for more details on the detailed lock in SCM 5.0 take a look at this thread

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your help Harish, that cleared my queries.

Regards

Sai

Answers (0)