cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

xml to EDI without any EDI adapter!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

can we do <b>xml to EDI</b> without any EDI adapter like SEEBURGER or GENTRAN?

and just with Conversion agent?

if so ,would it be a xml to file scenario?please explain little about the process.

thank you,

regards,

Babu

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

You can use FCC (File content conversion) and prepare the data according to the EDI data format. But FCC will give you a file. As a matter of fact you need a EDI software like GENTRAN for EDI communication. XI can prepare the data and send to GENTRAN as a file. However, GENTRAN has to provide the electronic communication with the parties (customers) to actually make EDI possible.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Shibaji,

then without any EDI adapter its not possible to do xml to EDI integration we need Seeburger or GENTRAN.

and i dont think we can get EDI structure file using FCC?as FCC supports just two or three level structures.

any more comments from others.

thank you.

Former Member
0 Kudos

hey babu

i guess with complex Java mapping it is possible to handle EDI messages,i myself have not tried this but have heard it from few XI and Java experts that they were able to handle EDI messages with the help of some complex Java mapping,

you may also use conversion agent from Itemfiled,it much like seeburger and i guess now its owned by SAP itself

Thanx

Aamir suhail

henrique_pinto
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You could develop your own XI Content for EDI, basically mappings and interfaces + custom adapter.

There are several companies that do that besides Seeburger.

Regards,

Henrique.

Former Member
0 Kudos

want to add some more...

with Conversion Agent we can just get the xsd and use it for mapping if dont get any predefined mapping and we can generate or get xml data for the EDI structure for which we have imported XSD.

correct me ,if I am wrong...

thank you.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Henrique,

thank you for clear suggestion.

but ,we cant take EDI text file or give out EDI text file without any EDI adapter or custom adapter right?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Babu

>>with Conversion Agent we can just get the xsd and use it for mapping if dont get any predefined mapping and we can generate or get xml data for the EDI structure for which we have imported XSD.

i m unable to get what you wanna ask here:) could you please explain a little bit

Thanx

Aamir

Former Member
0 Kudos

Amir,

I was trying to add some comments what I felt.

I mean,with Conversion Agent we cant send or recieve EDI documents. and we can use it for just to get the structure of the EDI document as XSD with Conversion Agent which we want to use in mapping.And once we have structure for the EDI document we can use a file adapter and can generate XML files.

And we do mapping only, if we don't have predelivered mapping( Seeburger provides some mappings for standard document sets).

I am sorry ,if I am still unclear.

and to your comments above

>>"you may also use conversion agent from Itemfiled,it much like seeburger and i guess now its owned by SAP itself"

Seeburger has lot of features than Conversion agent.

Conversion agent just can get xsd from EDI structure and EDI structure from xsd,correct?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey babu

yes,you are correct,AFAIK conversion agent can get the data from FTP or VAN and does not provide any adapter of its own,but my knowledge on conversion agent is pretty limited so i might be wrong but until now i haven't came across anything whic says that conversion agent provides some adapters like SeeBurger.

>>Conversion agent just can get xsd from EDI structure and EDI structure from xsd,correct?

yes you are right.

Thanx

Aamir

Former Member
0 Kudos

>>>"AFAIK conversion agent can get the data from FTP or VAN "

is it?I was under impression that its not capable of the stuff you have mentioned.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey

if you look at the following blog

/people/bla.suranyi/blog/2006/09/29/conversion-agent--handling-edi-termination-characters

thats what it says

Thanx

Aamir

Former Member
0 Kudos

Amir,

I have gone through the blog but I didn't feel anywhere that Conversion agent is capable of getting EDI documents from VAN or FTP,but it explains handling the recieved EDI documents with Conversion agent ,but not getting the EDI docs with Conversion Agent by itself.

may be I am wrong.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey babu

its not the conversion agent that will accept this file,you can configure a File adapter to pull the EDI from some FTP,conversion agent is used basically to generate the EDI message structure within XI and then import that in IR for mapping purposes.

Thanx

Aamir

Former Member
0 Kudos

yes,thats what I was expecting.

thank you.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Henrique,

what do you say about my previous question to you?I meanEDI documents through XI.

we must need an EDI adapter or Third party adapter to convert from or to EDI documents,right?we cant just use conversion agent and XI to develop the interfaces with EDI systems,true?

thank you for your help.

Babu

henrique_pinto
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hey Babu,

Im not really an EDI expert, but AFAIK, an specific EDI adapter will only be needed if you need to send/receive the EDI document to/from the VAN using EDI protocol.

If you only wish to create the document (EDI-XML or whatsoever) then a mapping or, at most, a module, would be enough.

Regards,

Henrique.

Former Member
0 Kudos

ok ,thank you.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Babu

we did implemantion with Stylus Studio and SAP Conversion Agent

you could also you Altove MapForce which generates java classes which can be transformed to EJBs

Former Member
0 Kudos

Shai,

but how can we generate EDI files?may be we can just do the mapping as Henrique said but can't gewnerate EDI Files.

lets say I am getting xml files and I want to get EDI (810)structure out using XI.

do you think we can still achieve this using just Stylus studio and Conversion agent?

thank you.

Former Member
0 Kudos

hey babu,

basically in case on conversion agent. just converts EDI format to other formats..

but to receive or send EDI is not function of conversion agent,,,

you have to use File Adapter for that....

when we create conversion program it is deployed at a particular location on J2EE server.. then in file adapter you had an extra module pointing to the conversion program...

same is the case on receiver side,..

Former Member
0 Kudos

but with file adapter we cant generate EDI structured flat file right?

like for ex 850 format

BEG00xyZ

N1ZZ11234567abcdfef*ggfds

N2fddgs*sdfs

CTT*17

we can just generate xml files or delimited formats.

i am looking is there any feasible solution to get EDI structure out from XI for the source XML data structure.

like xml -> Xi ->EDI structure without any EDI adapter.

thank you.