cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Console - Logins

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are using SP5 Patch 1 ( Console = 5.5.41.58)

When using the API I am seeing a lot of connections with no Host Name or Application Name. We never saw this with previous editions.

Is it a bug or is the console not properly refreshing the list?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Which API are you using, Java, ABAP, or COM?

The API should be providing the Host Name and Application Name when it forms a connection to MDS (this is new behavior in SP5). I'm pretty certain the Java API is doing this correctly, but maybe one of the other two is not.

It is definitely not a problem with the Console; the Console just gets the list of Logins from MDS, and either the information is there, or it's not. Console re-retrieves the list every time you click on the Logins node in the tree.

-Cleopatra

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am using the COM API.

Eventually the connection gets lost and we have to unload the repository, do an iisreset and reload the repository.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Mike,

Maybe is an issue of Languages that you are not seeing the Descriptions in the Login Table. We used ABAP API and when we connect to the repository no descriptions are shown.

Now, with the issue of "Eventually the connection gets lost"... Remember that for every connection that you make to the MDM Repository, two login entries are created:

- One corresponds to your connection

- The other corresponds (If i'm not mistaken) to the trace.

It's very important that you disconnect this connections whit your API because this is the only way to reduce the number of logins in the "Logins" table. Check in your code that always at the end call the method "disconnect". Maybe when an exception occurs your code doesn't call the disconnect method.

Regards,

Please Mark Helpful Answers,

Former Member
0 Kudos

The COM API maintains an internal connection pool. The connection pool had always been there.

In earlier version, these connections don't up in the Console. Probably starting with SP5 Patch 01, these connections are suppose to be counted as logins. The COM API didn't set the login information for these connections but functionality wise, there's nothing wrong here. In any case, these connections should go away as soon as the method ICatalog.Logout is called.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I use the COM API for our website, which is written in .NET.

I make a connection to MDM in the Application_Start, store this catalog connection in an Application variable and then logout on Application_End.

This has worked since SP2. We upgraded to SP5 and have had problems with making a connection. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes its fast, sometimes its slow.

The way I login/logout seems like the correct way, doesn't it?

XCATCOMLib.Catalog catalog = new XCATCOMLib.CatalogClass();				
string serverPath = HttpContext.Current.Request.PhysicalApplicationPath;
string cachePath = serverPath + ConfigurationSettings.AppSettings["ImagesCacheFolder"] + "\";

catalog.Login(server, port, userName, password, "English [US]", 1, -1, 32768);
catalog.InitCache(cachePath, -1);				
Application["mdmCatalog"] = catalog;

Former Member
0 Kudos

Well, you should investigate if the login fails. Normally there's some kind of error code.

Depending on the repository, the login might be slow because it's retrieving certain data for caching.

For the code, I suggest providing a real value for the maximum for the max connections and for the max blob cache size.

Former Member
0 Kudos

A while back Walter Kahn of SAP suggested leaving the cache size and min/max connections up to MDM.

I've noticed that when I lose the connection and things start erroring out.....if I delete everything in the cache folder things start promptly working again. Maybe its our network, servers, etc....but at least there is one way to remedy the problem.

Answers (0)