cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JSR-168/WSRP iViews

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have the following doubts to be cleared.It would be of great help if someone knows abt these and revert back ASAP.

1) How many iViews currently exist? Is there a directory of available iViews?

2) Is SAP planning to provide today's iView functionality as JSR-168/WSRP portlets together with the new release (or later)?

3) Would it make sense to create JSR-168/WSRP portlets by reusing existing iViews? I.e. is the iView Java code customizable? Would that be a feasible approach in order to provide iView-like functionality through JSR-168 or WSRP portlets?

4)Any other alternatives to expose iView-like functionality through a non-SAP portal? If so, what would that look like?

Regards.....

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

thomas_csapo
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Christian,

1) This question is independent of WSRP/JSR, right? --> So, you mean, how many iViews in general.. There is no list published by SAP giving an overview of available iViews. However, you could get a little overview when checking out the business packages currently available offered by SAP and partners.

https://www.sdn.sap.com/sdn/contentportfolio.sdn

2) SAP is not planning to provide all the functionality in a JSR168/WSRP-compliant manner. SAP will support WSRP by the end of this year with the next NetWeaver release. However, this does not mean that the existing content will be available via WSRP. Some might be, but to which extent, cannot be said for sure now. JSR is intended to be supported next year, meaning that the NetWeaver Portal will be able to consume JSR168-compliant portlets, but not provide all the existing content in JSR168 format.

3) You are not allowed to modify iViews delivered by SAP. If you intend to modify iViews, which you created on your own, it depends on how much effort you want to spend on it and how long you can wait with your projects since both standards are not supported at the moment yet with the current SP releases.

4) Please a bit more specific about what you mean with iView-like functionality. In general, to leverage the full functionality of SAP iViews you always need the full NetWeaver Portal framework. There are some scenarios of how to integrate the SAP EP into the WebSphere Portal. Check out the docs here on SDN.

Kind regards,

Thomas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Thomas,

The reply seemed to be quite informative.

But are you very sure that the SAP iViews are not customizable? Because I got to know someone saying that it is possible to customize and he was quoting the User screen iView as an example.Please throw some light on this,if you have got some context.

Best Regards,

Christian...

thomas_csapo
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Well, what exactly do you mean by "customizable"? You mean adapting the code to enable the iView to be run on another J2EE platform, right?

If this is the case, you are not allowed to do so. Of course, many iViews can be customized by adjusting certain parameters. But enabling them to be run on another platform requires major coding changes since you cannot use SAP Portal Services, etc. any longer. Therefore, you have to develop a new portlet yourself.

Kind regards,

Thomas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Thomas,

Can you please let me know the exact difference between an iView and a portlet?

I have seen these terms used across many articles.

My prejudice till now was that both of them are the same.

Regards,

Christian....

thomas_csapo
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Portlet is basically a general name for mini applications running in a portal. This name is also used by IBM for its WebSphere Portal applications. iView is the term used by SAP for these mini applications.

Regards,

Thomas

thomas_csapo
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

And each of those is run on its separate platform, being either the WebSphere Portal Server or the SAP J2EE Engine, and resulting in the use of different APIs, services, etc, which are not accessible when being run on another platform.

Regards,

Thomas

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

detlev_beutner
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

See /thread/52112 [original link is broken]