cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EDI from legacy systems......

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi frenz,

I've got an object in which we get an incoming EDI (856) from our warehouse for updating picked quantity in delivery document.

Here i got some doubts.

1) Its not an IDoc we gotto recive, So how do i configure my XI to receive and recognise the EDI message?

2) Shall i call a RFC enabled function module to update the picked quantity, from XI or shall post the EDI message as IDoc in our R/3 and update it there?

Which will be the optimized way?

3) For this scenario, i'm not sure whether i would require just a message mapping or XSLT or Java Mapping.

If someone had done this scenario already, help me how to approach this. I'm expectin a reply as early as possible, frenz.

Thanks in advance.

---praveen.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

MichalKrawczyk
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Praveen,

<i>>>>1) Its not an IDoc we gotto recive, So how do i configure my XI to receive and recognise the EDI message?</i>

you can use EDI adapters:

from iWay

http://www.iwaysoftware.com/products/sap/SAP_XI.html

or from:

www.seeburger.com

if this EDI message is a flat file then you can use fil/ftp adapter

<i>>>>2) Shall i call a RFC enabled function module to update the picked quantity, from XI or shall post the EDI message as IDoc in our R/3 and update it there?</i>

try using the idoc first - if something goes wrong you can always restart the idoc and it's not always the case with messages from XI Maybe you can use the idoc SDPIIOD - I used it once for picking & posting goods issues - but have a look at it's limitation first (he can only use base unit of measure as far as I remember)

but you can also use RFC if you want - then you'll have to make sure that you can always resume the message (so for instance archive incomming EDI messages)

<i>>>>3) For this scenario, i'm not sure whether i would require just a message mapping or XSLT or Java Mapping.</i>

I'm sure java graphical mapping will be enough:)

maybe you'll just have to write a few advanced java functions

Regards,

michal

MichalKrawczyk
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

but if you have to recognize any message

"from the payload" for example you can have a look at:

/people/ravikumar.allampallam/blog/2005/06/24/convert-any-flat-file-to-any-idoc-java-mapping

or you may try to put them in different folders if this is possible

regards,

michal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi michal,

It's true that we use seeburger adapter.

so wat kind of input would i get as input here. (an XML IDoc? ).

Would a message mapping is not suffice for this scenario?

I , first of all, want to know at wat time we go for message mapping, XSLT mapping and JAVA or ABAP proxies? I'm not clear with that.

If need to use java mapping, i'm not into java, so how do i do that? Do u have any sample coding that will help me as template so that i shall make it work for my scenario?

Thanks in advance.

---praveen.

MichalKrawczyk
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I've never used seeburger but I guess it should transform

the message into an XML message then you can easily map to XML-IDOC and send to R3

for mapping guides/templates take a look at:

/people/michal.krawczyk2/blog/2005/06/28/xipi-faq-frequently-asked-questions

question 14

BTW

I'm sure you can do it with graphical mapping + a few java functions

take a look at this weblog (container) maybe you'll need to use it:

/people/michal.krawczyk2/blog/2005/02/25/simple-java-code-in-graphical-mapping--xi

BTW

java graphical mapping and the use of so called "advanced java functions" doesn't mean you have to know java

you just have to know how to loop in java

nothing more really

REgards,

michal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi michal,

Its really helpful. Lemme work on that and get back to you if i encounter any other problems. Thank you for your reply.

--praveen.

MichalKrawczyk
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

no problem:)

Regards,

michal