Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

oracle 9i 32bit to 64bit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear all,

I have a question about oracle 9i change from 32bit to 64bit:

We want to change our SAP server from 32bit to 64bit (LINUX). In this case, we also want change the SAP from 32bit to 64bit (but no SAP release changed), and oracle 9i from 32bit to 64bit. Is this possible? How to do it? How much time need based on your estimate?

Because the system can not shut down more than 12 hours, we intend to use a old oracle export for new system installation and use the redolog rollforward to the lastest status. The new system is running on 64bit (oracle and SAP), but the redolog is 32bit, is it OK?

Thanks

Michael

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

have a question about oracle 9i change from 32bit to 64bit:

We want to change our SAP server from 32bit to 64bit (LINUX). In this case, we also want change the SAP from 32bit to 64bit (but no SAP release changed), and oracle 9i from 32bit to 64bit.

Markus is right again.

make sure that all your components are 64-bit on the new machine, then backup/restore DB on new machine. As you are not changing your oracle version, this is all that needs to be done.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello all,

Thanks for your help!

I almost understand how to do it. the offline backup/restore method will easy to use and have shorter downtime.

then the step will be:

create 64 bit sap environment (sap kernel and oracle) on new machine, just like install a new sap system;

offline backup the old 32 bit system's database

restore the database to new 64 bit system use the backup copy just backuped

is it right?

thanks

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

yes - it´s basically a homogeneous system copy, using an offline backup it´s very easy.

For a complete guide check http://services.sap.com/systemcopy

--

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

ic

thanks Markus!

Michael

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

steps are

Verify there are no invalid objects.

Verify all components in the DB are Valid

Install Oracle 64bit

Copy the Database files from the 32bit machine, to the 64bit machine.

(Datafiles, Logfiles, Controlfiles, init.ora, tnsnames.ora, listener.ora, etc..)

Run all the post scripts

When this was all done, there should be zero invalid objects.

export/import. advantage being that the old database will remain usable in case the migration fails

Good Luck

Vinod

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You will change hardware too, right?

In that case, you can use an offline backup and restore it on the target host.

--

Markus