cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Storage Capacity in Heuristics

srinivas_krishnamoorthy
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Based on documentation, we cannot use Storage capacity using Heuristics. I was wondering if someone ever had an opportunity to use some kind of workaround to model a storage capacity in a supply chain network? Our requirement is to model a storage constraint in warehouse for all produced products in a location.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Srinivas,

Yes, you can execute alerts on the storage capacity (they are loaded by the heuristics, if you have the "Consumption of Storage Capacity per Unit of Material" field in the product master filled).

Then you can set-up "Resource overload in bucket (DB alert)" macro activity to be calculated and can get alerts for the storage resources overloads.

I don't think that this resource is loaded by orders directly though. It should be loaded by the "Stock on hand (Projected) figures.

br,

Mikhail

srinivas_krishnamoorthy
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks Mikhail for the mail.

I tried putting in a value at Location Product in the GR/GI tab for the "Consumption of Storage Capacity per Unit of Material" field and also created a storage resource in that location. However I wanted to know where is the connection drawn between the storage resource and Location Product. As I was trying to create PPM I could not find a logical connection that I could put between the storage resource and location product since the activities are not defined for "staging". Would you recommend creating a new activity for this purpose and then creating a PPM or use one of the existing activities like Production?

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

kenneth_snyder
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes PP/DS takes into consideration storage resources... although I have not modeled this before.

Ken Snyder

kenneth_snyder
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You put the storage resource in the location master on the resources tab.

Ken Snyder

0 Kudos

Helo Ken,

I was wondering if this works also for PPDS.

Thanks

Celia

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Srinivas,

There is no way to consider storage capacity (or any other for that matter) as a constraint during the heuristics run. By definition it is an unconstrained planning.

The only way to go around that would be to set-up alerts on the storage resources and change your orders manually after the heuristics.

br,

Mikhail

srinivas_krishnamoorthy
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Maybe I read too much into the answer, are you suggesting that Heuristics can process the Storage Capacity and atleast show in the Capacity view of planning book with appropriate alerts? I am ok with capacity leveling not being able to level a storage resouce.