cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP GUI not Starting up

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, I am new to Basis type work. We are running Linux and SAP 5.0. Our network team expanded the file system by adding a new LUN over the past few days and now the SAP start up runs ok but the sign on screen hangs or give a message waiting for connection? Can anyone provide me with some guidance on where I can look for possible problems that may be occurring? I checked the startup and startdb logs and did not find anything unusual. Please let me know any ideas you can think of to help me diagnose this issue.

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are using MAXDB database and there are 2 different systems involved with this problem. One system when I click logon just hangs and I never get a sign on screen. I simply get the message "Waiting for Response". The other system when I click on it brings up the sign on screen and thats as far as I get since it hangs and never really signs on to the system.

The system id's have not changed. The only thing that changed was our network team added another LUN to these systems since I was running out of room in the File System where we keep the system backup.

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Do you maybe have a LOG_FULL situation?

On the affected system do an

x_cons <SID> sh ac 2

and check, what the system is doing.

--

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

I was unable to run your command but I did run the command "x_cons TS1 SHOW ACTIVE" on the Test system and it does show the LOG FULL situation. I do not have the database manager tool on my laptop. Is using the database manager the only way to resolve this issue? Also, do you know how I might download this software to my laptop?

For the other system BW Prod I tried running the same command and I see a message stating permission denied. Any ideas/suggestions on this system?

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Find out the backup path using

dbmcli -U c medium_getall

Check there for the log archiving directory and start the log backup:

dbmcli -U c backup_start <medium> log

For the BI system - if <sid>adm does not work, use user sql<SID> instead.

--

Markus

former_member229109
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Laurie,

-> Are you SAP customer?

-> Please review the SAP note:

869267 FAQ: MaxDB LOG area

-> If you would like to install the DBMGUI tool, please see SAP note:

386714 SQL studio + Database Manager GUI installation

-> To run the x_cons command ::

usage: x_cons <SID> <Command> [<Interval> [<Repeat>]]

For example, in your case:

x_cons TS1 SHOW ACTIVE 20 2

< It will run 2 times with Interval 20sec >

By 'x_cons TS1 SHOW ACTIVE' it will run ones & you will see the current status of the active tasks in your database.

-> If you have any questions about liveCache/MAXDB database please post the question at MAXDB/liveCache forum

-> The MAXDB documents available at

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/wiki?path=/display/maxdb/main&;

&&

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/maxdb

-> And please see the Complete MaxDB Documentation Set at

http://maxdb.sap.com/currentdoc/default.htm

< See 'Backing Up Log Entries' at

http://maxdb.sap.com/currentdoc/dc/5d27401544ed01e10000000a155106/content.htm >

Please pay attention that you can only back up redo log entries after the database

instance has created at least one complete data backup.

Thank you & best regards, Natalia Khlopina

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

i want to test sapgui for java on a linux platforms.

is Someone can help and advice to choose the best and easy version to install

sapgui for linux. what linux version ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, I am a SAP customer. Thank you everyone for all your helpful information. Both systems had a log full situation which has now been rectified and both are up and running now.

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

What database are you using?

--

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Laurie

Check the SID in the log on pad is feed in properly. Check if the System number and IP for the sid is given correct in the Log on pad,

Can you please tell us what is the eaxct error message ur getting?

Thanks

Subbu