cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System Copy of our Production Server using orabrcopy method.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

We are planning to do a System Copy (Homogeneous) of our Production Server using orabrcopy method.

( Windows / Oracle )

But as the Production Server Java Version is below 1.4.1, Orabrcopy could not be executed. As it is the Production Server, we couldnot install the latest version of JAVA.

As per the planned downtime of the Production Server, we have copied all the database folders. ( say 9th of August)

but we could not create the control , trace, init<sid>.ora files using ORABRCOPY.. during offline database copy.

After the Offline copy of the Database, the system is started up and running with no issues. Now the problem is that we couldnot execute Orabrcopy and we dont have the control, traces and init<sid>.ora.

I need answers for 2 questions :

1. Is there any other method or alternative to orabrcopy, so that we can create the control , trace, and init<sid>.ora files now.

2. If we create the control trace files now ( 13th of August ) can we use the offline backup that we took on (9th of August) to perform a System Copy..

Please let me know if you need any more information ..

Need your advice..

Thanks and Regards

Paguras

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You can install multiple Java versions at the same time, just choose a different path and don't overwrite the old one.

--

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

Thanks for the reply.

Actually the issue is, we don't want to install / uninstall any software in the Production Server.

Thanks and Regards

Paguras.

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ok - then you're lost.

orabrcopy needs 1.4.2... you need to do that all manually

--

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks again.

Can you throw some light to my 2nd question:

2. If we create the control trace files now ( 13th of August ) can we use the offline backup of Database Folders that we took on (9th of August) to perform a System Copy..

I want to know whether technically it will be OK.

Regards

Paguras

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes - as long as you didn't add another datafile. If you did, you need to add it manually to CONTROL.SQL

--

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Thanks a lot. that answer was really useful.

In the previous reply you had mentioned as an alternative to ORABRCOPY, we have to follow manual process.

Are you referring to

"Alter database command" way of creating the trace files.

> if so, is it as reliable as orabrcopy ?.

> can it used for a Production System copy also ?

Thanks & Best Regards

Paguras

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Basically, orabrcopy does (aside from other things) an

alter database backup controlfile to trace;

You can enter that manually (anytime) and use the resulting .trc file in saptrace directory as a base for control.sql, however, in this case you need to "know" what you're doing. ORABRCOPY is a "nice frontend" for this because it uses the same statement to create CONTROL.SQL, it just edits it appropriately which you will need to do manually.

--

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Thanks a lot.

This answered all my questions.

Best Regards,

Paguras

Note: I am closing this thread . Thanks a lot again.

Answers (0)